Monday, April 12, 2010

No-Neck

Cue Mom rolling her eyes, and sighing, "Oh, Meg. You're beautiful the way you are." Of course she believes this--she's my mom. But over thirty-one (oy vey, closing in on thirty-two!) years of living, I've managed, as we all do, to develop a certain self-consciousness over various imperfections about myself.

I'm over the widow's peak. I've always loved my imperfect smile. I'm finding my inner Hot Girl and she is roaring forward into the universe. I don't even mind being seen in my glasses (though my contacts make my life so much easier) or the various scars I've accumulated.

As for all the kids at school who used to make fun of my thick lips--bite me. They're sexy as hell and you were JEALOUS.

Then there's my neck.

*sigh*

I have a short, thick neck. Turtlenecks and high collars bother me. Necklaces often need extenders. What I didn't realize was that a lot of the problem was actually the extra weight I was carrying. As I've lost the weight, my neck has gotten dramatically skinnier--though it hasn't gotten longer, mores the pity.

It's the one hang-up from my young days that has truly survived into adulthood. But even that is changing. Maybe because the girth is shrinking, and my necklaces are fitting better and better. Maybe it's because I feel so much stronger these days, or the fact that I always have it exposed at the gym because I refuse to work out with my hair down like some girls do. I sweat too much to have long hair sticking to my neck. I don't know what it is, exactly, but my neck doesn't bother me as much as it used to.

I'm totally owning it.

(That awesome necklace? Made by the incredible and awesome Dani as a birthday present to the green-loving me last year.)

We all have flaws. No one--not even the people considered beautiful by just about everyone--is without them. Sometimes its those so-called flaws that make a person special.

No comments: