Sunday, November 03, 2013

Days of Thankfulness, Day 3

I got up freakishly early (for a Sunday) this morning and drove to Sacramento to run the Run Because You Can 5K. Started by two loving parents after their child, Rhett, died at age seven from complications from his cerebral palsy, the run benefits a local youth fitness program and also helps provide two scholarships each year to promising students who wish to become Special Ed teachers.

Just before the race started, the Seevers (Rhett's parents) reminded us that we all have something so special, that we can run, we can move. The back of the race shirt said, "We Can. We Will. We Did. We are...Running Into Life." It was a lovely reminder for me, how thankful I am that I have a body that can run, that can find joy in movement. It's a privilege denied to many.

So today, I am thankful for my ability to run, for my hard-earned level of fitness. I'm reminded that I need to cherish this healthy body, to nurture it, to appreciate it.

And I do.

This morning.

Strong!

My first running 5K, January 2012.

Run To Remember, September 2013

No comments: