Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Compliments

This morning, I had to drive to Petite School for a meeting; with the Spring Musical getting underway, parents need information about costumes and rehearsal expectations, etc. So off I chugged down to Sacramento, where the meeting was successful.

Before I left, I ran into one of my colleagues in the copy room. She mentioned that her two sons have recently left Petite School for a local public school, as recent family upheaval has made it necessary. I frowned and told her I'd miss her boys, both very sweet, attentive kids. She, in turn, told me that one of them went to his first music class at the new school yesterday. When she asked him how it went, he frowned a little and said, "Well...she's not like Ms. C."

My heart melted a little.

Shortly after this exchange, I saddled up Rosie Pro and drove back towards home, stopping off at the gym along the way. It was a Leg Day, and as I finished my last set of weighted lunges, a woman I don't know approached me from behind. I saw her in the mirror, but I didn't realize at first that she did, indeed, wish to speak to me.

"I just had to tell you...I was working out next to you when you did your 70 pound picture that one day. You look great! Really amazing."

A huge smile spread across my face. "Thank you so much!" It amazed me that she remembered--that picture was taken last February!

Actually, here it is:

I was laughing because Matt had said something like, "Should I take it from
this angle or that angle? Or...oh, just take the picture already!" as I struggled
with the dumbbell.

Both compliments put a spring in my step, as did a great workout and a productive midday. Next time you are hesitating about giving a genuine, sincere compliment...don't. Tell someone! It really makes a person's day.

No comments: