Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Thankful...Part 2

Last night I was fixing a salad for dinner and chatting with Mom. I lamented that I didn't really feel like leaving the house, "...but I know that once I'm at choir, I'll have a great time and be happy I went."

I'm thankful--always--that I have music. I jokingly refer to myself as a Singing Fool, and a few years ago, someone once called me on my attitude when I mentioned being the best singer at an open mic night in a San Francisco bar (come on, sober Meg singing "Can't Help Lovin' That Man of Mine" after countless drunken covers of Elton John songs? Who wins? Me!!). The truth is, I'm a damned good singer. If that makes me cocky, so be it. But I worked hard to develop my ear and my confidence. I've earned the right to be proud of my voice and my ability to get up in front of a large group of people and sell a somewhat-difficult Broadway song. Even the piano player was impressed that night.

It's no secret that my career as a musician didn't have the most auspicious start. I was seven and I hated piano lessons. But somewhere along the way, something clicked, and before you can say, "Future Diva," I was spending endless sums of my parents' money on clarinet lessons, reeds, voice lessons, bass lessons, instrument rentals (and purchases), band fees, and, you know, a few thousand more clarinet reeds--only the best ones, please, I'm majoring in this.

(Fortunately, Mom and Dad are super-proud of their music nerd daughter and considered all of this an investment...besides, they loved following the Folsom High School Marching Band all over California.)

Music has brought me opportunities, friendships, but also so much joy. So last night, as I whined about having to get out of my comfy jammies, and driving all the way to Sacramento for rehearsal, I reminded myself that I never regret going to choir rehearsal. It is impossible to describe how it feels to be one voice among 160 other singers, creating a sound that can be huge and powerful one beat, then tender and soft the next. I don't always love every piece we're performing, but I love the process of learning music, of making music, of improving my own skills as a musician.

Some people build huge monuments. Others write epic novels, or make terrific breakthroughs in science.

I make music, and I spread my love for it to children. That's my gift to the world.

1 comment:

Diane Fit to the Finish said...

The gift of music is priceless. I am so glad that music is part of our life as well. All of my kids play instruments and we often play together at nursing homes or the library. We aren't pros but we can make old people smile!