Sunday, August 12, 2012

Thirty-Four

The number 34 gets very little love, it seems.

I never hear anyone get all excited at turning 34. It's "mid-thirties," and as it's not a multiple of five or ten, it's not celebrated as a landmark birthday. There's no special privilege afforded to a person at age 34. I've been a legal adult, able to vote, and drinking legal margaritas for years now.

However, 34 is part of the Fibonacci sequence (and also, therefore, the Golden Spiral). It is not a prime number. (Silly Meg Quirk #542: I hate prime numbers greater than 10--that is, 1, 2, 3, 5, and 7 don't bother me--and avoid using lockers at the gym if they are numbered with a prime number. No idea why I do this.)

It is the periodic number of selenium, was the jersey number for Nolan Ryan, and a miracle once happened on 34th Street (haha). It is divisible by two and seventeen.

And I am 34 years old today. Twice the age I was on this day in 1995, facing my senior year of high school.

Thirty-four may not seem remarkable, but I feel blessed to reach it. Happy Birthday to me!

3 comments:

Nefarious Newt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nefarious Newt said...

Happy Birthday, Meg!

Diane Fit to the Finish said...

Happy very special birthday number Meg! 34 is a great age - I wish I was 34 again!!