Monday, July 30, 2012

Monday Music: Gym Class Heroes

I just discovered this song over the weekend. While watching the coverage of men's gymnastics at the London Olympics, I was impressed by one of the USA's own--John Orozco, son of immigrant parents, and a true embodiment of the American Dream...and a true fighter.

A couple of years ago, he tore his Achilles--a seriously painful injury, and a major setback to a gymnast--yet now, he is competing in the Olympic Games. The band Gym Class Heroes featured him in the official video for "The Fighter," and it's very moving, with images of John, his family, his friends, his home turf.

The song also really speaks to me--these games have been really fun for me to watch because this time around, I watch them as an athlete. I don't claim to understand what the Olympians have sacrificed to get where they are, but I can understand that feeling of needing to push your body, needing to push harder, go faster, get better. I admire the hell out of these men and women and predict quite a few moments of crying in my little batcave in the Cooper house over the next few weeks.

Give em hell, turn their heads
Gonna live life 'til we're dead.
Give me scars, give me pain
Then they'll say to me, say to me, say to me
There goes the fighter, there goes the fighter
Here comes the fighter
That's what they'll say to me, say to me, say to me,
This one's a fighter

No comments: