Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Celebrations

I'm going to be a teacher again.

After two years of unemployment, after times I thought I'd never return to a classroom, I will be teaching music, in a school, this coming school year.

I am over the moon.

The job is part-time, only one day a week at this point. The school is a tiny private K-8 school in a lovely Sacramento neighborhood. I won't be making a huge salary, but that's not the point. The point is, I'm back. I will be teaching in a classroom, working with groups of children, spreading my love of music and helping young kids learn to find that joy themselves. Singing, moving, playing instruments. I even get to put on a spring musical!

The school itself is lovely. I found the job via a Craigslist ad about two weeks ago. I sent my resume and letter of introduction and almost immediately received a reply from the principal telling me she was "intrigued" and would love to meet me. I met with her the next day, and we spoke for about an hour. She really liked me, but the decision would ultimately be made by the owner of the school, who lives in Utah. I had a phone interview with her on Monday, in which she told me the only thing standing in the way of her offering me the job was a reference check. I have great references, but still, I've learned in the last two years not to take anything for granted.

The call came through yesterday. The position is mine. My response: "I am delighted to accept!"

When I got back to teaching private music lessons early this year, it was like a floodgate opened. I find so much joy in teaching. Watching someone learn is incredible--knowing they're learning because I helped them get there is like a miracle. To know I'll be back in a classroom this fall is a gift. A marvelous, wonderful gift.


This, of course, means that I'll have a small but regular income coming in. I had promised myself that as soon as I got a job, I could set aside the money I earn from my summer gig for ESL Arts Advantage (which starts next week, and I'm very excited) and use it to buy a bike. A proper bike for triathlon training and racing. M. the Reasonable is really into bikes and cycling, and has offered to help me find what I need. More than once. I'm holding him to it because 1) I know absolutely nothing about buying a bike and if it were left up to me I'd probably end up with a pink Huffy with streamers coming out the handlebars and 2) he seems more excited about helping me find a bike than I am about getting a bike (and I'm pretty damned excited) and I'd hate to make him miss out on that. All I know is, if I want a good bike and to find the best deal on it, M.'s my guy.

I'm going to the school tomorrow afternoon to sign some paperwork and get that ball rolling. School will start August 21, so I'll be spending some good time over the next six weeks prepping my curriculum and getting to know the school and staff as much as possible. There's also ESL Arts, which will make the next three weeks fun and busy. And there is always triathlon training and fitness.

Have I mentioned I'm eight pounds from goal? It seems so unbelievable.

Lots to celebrate this week...I'm feeling very fortunate and excited by all of these opportunities.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Congratulations Meg! I'm so happy for you. I also loved your writing about bikes. It brings to mind the fond memories I have with the Desert Rose Huffy I had as a kid.