Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Downtown Stockton

Yesterday, I gave myself some time before my last hurrah with Chorale to walk around downtown with my camera. Downtown Stockton has certainly got a lot of work to do if it wants to be a city where people come to eat, drink and be merry...people are working on it, but the economy has hit San Joaquin County very hard, and it's going to be a long time before Stockton's city center has any sort of pull. Plus, it's just too near the southeast part of the city, where gang activity keeps people inside. Downtown is "safe" enough in daylight, but I was still watching my back.
That said, I like it there. It has character, and a certain flavor about it. From the man who was practicing karate kicks on El Dorado Street to the crowds of kids in front of the movie theater, there is a certain charm in watching the people. Stockton doesn't pretend to be anything other than it is--a run-down city smack in the middle of an economic downturn that is trying, valiantly, to make things better.




I found this sidewalk art and was completely charmed.
























I went to the top floor of a public parking garage to get some view pictures. A police officer gave me a "look" but didn't stop to ask. I guess he figured I was just a harmless lady with a camera, with no ulterior motives and no intention of jumping. Plus, the garage has surveillance cameras.




You can verrrry faintly see Mt. Diablo right behind the
port, way in the distance. It was hazy yesterday.

Still too faint, even on zoom.

Looking towards Weber Point. The street where the cars
are stopped is shut down every year for the Asparagus
Festival.



Finally, it was time for Summer Sing. I snapped a quick picture of one of the stained glass windows in St. John's before we got involved in the Mozart.

No comments: