Friday, July 29, 2011

Shameless

My whole philosophy when it comes to interacting with celebrities on Twitter is that I'm not guaranteed a response, and that's fine. I've seen some people almost berate Richard of Keane for not responding to a Tweet sent his way and the poor guy always rushes to fix the situation with an apology...it makes me feel bad. The guy does have a life, and the fact that he's so talkative with the fans on Twitter at all shows us how much he appreciates those of us who follow him and buy Keane's music.

Anyway, yeah, I interact with him a lot on Twitter. Sometimes I get a response, sometimes I don't. Of course I love getting responses from him, but I certainly don't expect them, and I don't feel bad when he doesn't respond--he gets a lot of Tweets directed his way and the guy has a life.

Yesterday, he posted a picture of Tom (lead singer) he recently snapped in the studio, and of course, all of us fans got very excited. The Keane official web site has been very quiet of late. The guys are working on their fourth full album and sending out vague promises that we'd get some pictures and updates soon, but for the last few months, there hasn't been much.

I shamelessly posted the following:


Oh, yeah. I have an interview this morning--it's for an "eligibility pool" in Oakland, so there is not even a definite job, but I'm still flattered to get an interview.

Anyway, I posted this yesterday. I didn't get any sort of response and figured I wouldn't. No worries. But when I woke up this morning, it was to one of my friends in ducky madness having posted on Facebook that the first thing she saw on Twitter this morning was well, this:

(I had also directed a link his way, later, to an article I thought he'd find interesting.)

Imagine my delighted surprise. And, you know, the silly dance I did in my living room that only the cats witnessed.

P.S. Lest you think all I do is sit around Tweeting famous people all day every day, that's not true. I spend a fair amount of time on the Internet looking for jobs, promoting my eBay and Etsy shops, and working on other things. I just happen to have TweetDeck open most of the time, and Facebook as well. Multitasking at its finest!

3 comments:

alana said...

haha that's how I am with twitter too (just leave it open while doing other things). The only 'famous' people I've talked to are authors. Though famous isn't the right word, I still feel a bit silly about it. I have to stop myself from tweeting "write faster!" quite often. lol

Meg said...

I follow some high-level celebs (Judy Blume, Kevin Spacey) who don't really respond to fans and some "lower-level" celebs (Richard, Jennifer Ehle, John Roderick) who do interact with fans a lot. I've noticed that Richard just seems to get a kick out of talking to the fans--both on Twitter and after shows. He's the one who consistently comes out after gigs to meet and greet, and he's kind to every single person there.

I get positively silly, but I'm in good company. LOL My other Keane friends are the same!

alana said...

That's so sweet of him. It's always nice to know people appreciate their fans. You know, more than the expected fan thanks lol.