Thursday, July 28, 2011

Random Musings

I've gotten into a bit of a blogging rut lately. Either I blog about everything in one long post, or I don't blog about anything for weeks except for the bigger adventures that are mostly pictures. So I'm going to be trying something new for various reasons.

I'll be trying to post more often, but in shorter updates. Little blogs like the ones you've seen in the last few days about my return to running, or a trip to Boot Camp at the gym. As soon as I have an idea I want to write about, I will blog it.

The biggest reason for this is because I'm trying to write more in general. It's actually on my weekly to-do list. Write something. Every day. On Monday this week, I wrote a limerick. It counted. Blog posts count. Emails do not. The writing must take some sort of creative thinking, they must be expressive.

A few weeks ago, Mom gave me a cut-out from one of the hundreds of magazines she reads. Good Housekeeping is doing a short story contest, and Mom thinks I've got the required writing talent to at least enter. It's a fiction contest. I cut out the information and taped it up to my computer hutch. As I type this, if I turn my head about 45 degrees to the right, there it is, daring me. I want to do it, but every time I sit down with the intention to write, I freeze. Ideas fly out of my head and hide in corners. A blank screen stares at me.

I never was very good at writing under pressure.

So when I feel the need to write, I will do it--here at the LPB. And who knows? Maybe something will inspire me to move even further with it, and by September I'll have a short story ready to submit.

No comments: