Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Weepy McCrybaby

I will never understand my menstrual cycle.
Oh, I get that once a month my ovaries send a little egg on its merry way to my uterus (well, in theory. I'm on the Pill, so no ovulating). I get that once a month, my uterus must shed the soft lining that it's built up in anticpation of that egg being fertilized and implanted. That makes sense.
What I don't understand is how my PMS symptoms can be so all over the charts from one onth to the next. I had my period last week. I started a new pack of pills on Sunday. Everything should be status quo, right?

Wrong!!
Nope. I'm bloated. I weighed yesterday and was up a pound. And I'm weepy. I actually cried in front of my 7th graders today. I was so frustrated with some bad behavior I just cried and told them, "I'm counting the days to summer vacation. I'm so frustrated with you right now."
Their math teacher made them write letters of apology. The letters were quite sweet. Reading them, alone in my classroom, I cried some more.
How embarassing. Not the first time, though. And it was effective. My kids felt pretty terrible.
Good.
Also? I could really use a donut right now. Or chocolate cake. Instead, I'll go to the gym after work, go for a run (weather permitting) and then go home and have leftover spinach-lentil soup. That's how I roll these days, delayed PMS or not.

2 comments:

HubbleSpacePaws said...

(((Meg))) Maybe it's not just your hormones. It's the full moon today. You're allowed to be a lunatic, honey. Hey, and maybe the kids were loony, too.

I know, I know, the research says it's statistically untrue - no increase in murders, shootings, etc. - but friends who are doctors and nurses and cops (you know, non-superstitious, rational, thoughtful people) swear that more weird things happen, people are more irrational, and some people are just plain "lunatics" at the full moon.

Maybe the statisticians are right, and it's all our imagination, or maybe all those emergency service workers are right and we're just measuring the wrong things!

Meg said...

Ask any teacher and they will tell you they dread full moons and windy days.

I didn't know it was the full moon until, ironically, a girl asked me during 2nd period when the next full moon was. "Hold on, hon, I'll Google it for you," I replied. Then I laughed hysterically to myself when I realized it was today.