Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Bits and Pieces

Just random bits of news from my life.

1. I Take It Back.

The other day, I blogged that I was referring to my trainer as G. the Meanie less and less. Well, we're back to Meanie status. He's going to make me run THREE miles on Friday. Non-stop. With him pushing me along. In public. We're going to do a big loop that I often run through my neighborhood. I hope it rains.

Okay, okay. Deep down, I know I can do it. But part of my job in this venture is to whine and make him work hard for his money.

Speaking of, I've scrounged up the money to buy ten more sessions. Actually, eleven, because there's a buy-ten-get-one-free deal going on. We're going to space them out every 4-5 days, which will make them last into June. Maybe by then I'll be employed again.

At the very least, it gives me time to have some serious motivation in getting below 150 pounds...which is 15 pounds away (easy!) and within 20 pounds of my goal. I'm getting so close! And, as G. pointed out yesterday, this is the first time since I've known him that I weigh less than he does. Thanks for that, G.

2. HA! HAHAHAHAHA!!!

I was talking to a colleague at my "nice" school today. Turns out, a few years ago, she was a non-reelect at a school in this very district.

And yup, she's been rehired at another school in this very district.

So in other words, if any VAPA or music jobs open up in this very district, this very blogger is applying.

In the meantime, in case this doesn't happen, the head of VAPA is writing me a letter of recommendation. She actually based her opinion of my teaching on what she saw in my classroom. Imagine that. I wish she'd been my evaluator.

3. Seen Any Good Flicks Lately?

In addition to having a more active lifestyle of late, I've also been making an effort to give myself some sit-on-the-couch-watching-movies time. In the last few days, I've watched the first four episodes (of seven or eight) of History Channel's WWII in HD. Very interesting documentary with real color footage from the war, narrated by actors and interspersed with interviews of the men and women who survived. It follows twelve people, including one Army nurse.

I've also watched "An Education," "Where the Wild Things Are," and "The Princess and the Frog." Here's what I thought:

"An Education" -- Very well-acted. Carey Mulligan is gorgeous and very talented. Emma Thompson (who I will always, always love) has a small but excellent role as the school headmistress. I enjoyed the movie, though it's not one I'll watch over and over again.

"Where the Wild Things Are" -- Very cute, but not one of those kid movies that I'm going to rush out and buy. It was a little slow for me, though I thought the music choices were beautiful for the mood of the movie. Still, it's really just a lot of wild rumpuses and howling. Let the kiddos watch it. I'll be out buying...

"The Princess and the Frog" -- Disney strikes again. LOVE THIS. First off, hurrah for some diversity in the Princess Family, but also, a huge hurrah for jazz music and trumpet-playing alligators. Oh, and heroines that are not sitting on their keisters waiting for their prince to come. Princess Tiana is a princess for 2010.

4. Hallelujah, PRAISE THE LORD.

Pardon me for a sec. I'm just SO HAPPY (in ALL CAPS!!) that the CSTs are finally done. CST stands, of course, for California Standards Test. Our yearly bit of dreadful torture for students and teachers alike.

Today the 8th graders finished off the science portion. I helped proctor in one classroom and as I sat at the teacher's desk, I almost fell asleep. It's so very, very boring! I'd much rather be teaching my kids, instead of watching them take a strenuous, our-school's-future-depends-on-how-well-you-do test.

Ahh, necessary evils.

5. Still Singin'

Our next Chorale concerts--last of this season--are in a couple of weeks. We're singing some gospel and spirituals this time around. This is a welcome break from the usual masses and Big Choral Pieces we usually do. I have to admit that Chorale has given me some musical opportunities I hadn't yet had, like singing Brahms' German Requiem, the entire first section of Handel's Messiah, and a really awesome mass by Dave Brubeck. Think church music with jazz harmonies.

After this concert, we'll be finished until after Labor Day. Part of me will welcome the break on Monday evenings, but I also know I'll miss my friends over the long, hot summer. My biggest, dearest wish right now is that I'll be back after Labor Day with these fine people.

6. Having Faith.

You might have figured out that I'm not the most religious gal on the block. Okay, okay, I'm practically pagan. But I do like to believe in a higher power of some kind and I'm almost convinced that angels exist...well, I'd like to think that's what Grandma and Grandpa Bean are doing--looking out for my family and being proud of me, and stuff.

Anyway, I digress.

I was thinking earlier tonight that I haven't been stressed these last few days about staying in Stockton or being forced to move. And it hit me--I have faith. Faith that God or the Sky Fairy or Life or Mother Nature or Whoever is going to help me find a way to stay where I'm happy. Because this higher power wouldn't have brought me here to Stockton (I know...Stockton!) and given me Chorale, Animal Friends Connection, and all the success I've had at my local gym, only to tear it away. I've worked hard to get here. And I'm staying.

I have faith.

7. The Terrible Torties Have Left the Building

Mom and Dad came to collect the Kitty Khorus on Sunday. They were serenaded the whole way home. Here on this end, things are back to status quo. I switched from using my fruit bowl as a water dish back to the smaller "Chico Cat" bowl I normally use, and have just one bowl of cat chow instead of two out. The litter boxes can be scooped every other day instead of every day.

Oh, and I have my bed back, now that Lady Fuzz, Duchess of Lincoln isn't monopolizing it.

8. SHOES!

My new Steve Madden shoes arrived yesterday. The only reason I haven't yet worn them is because it's rainy and I'm waiting for things to dry up.
Steve Madden's Fix Women's Punky (Green 8.0 M)

Are these adorable, or are they adorable? Yes, of course I bought them in green. You have just got to love Steve Madden.

9. Gimme a Beach.

Plans are tentatively afoot to spend a night in Santa Cruz soon with my friend Meghan. I hope it pans out because I really, really, really need some serious beach time as soon as I can get it. I even have a new swimsuit, and, even better, a new swimsuit body. First time in years that I haven't wanted to cry in the fitting room.

10. It's Bedtime.

Well, actually, it's past my bedtime. I promised myself I'd go to bed by 10:00 tonight. Here it is, 10:30, and here I am, at the computer. Hey, a girl's gotta blog.

1 comment:

HubbleSpacePaws said...

Oh my... so much to catch up on!! So short on time.

So before anything, CONGRATS on putting your inner self first and getting those sessions with G - the (once again) meanie! ;-)

I have faith, too, that everything is going to work out for you, hon!

I am "religious" and I don't presume to know how the Higher Power works. "God helps those who help themselves," pops to mind (or a variation of it anyway). In situations like this, I kinda imagine the HP filling a kinda cosmic G the meanie role... running beside us, giving us strength to stay the course (or try a different routine, when appropriate), giving us what we need to hear instead of what we want to hear.