Monday, December 28, 2009

The Decade in Music: 2001

2001 was a major year of transition for me. I graduated from college, and spent the first four months of the year obsessing over clarinet music for my senior recital.

But it was the year that Train would blow me away with "Drops of Jupiter (Tell Me)," my theme song to this very day.



The lyrics to this song are printed out and pasted in a scrapbook I took to England in 2004, and this song is still one of my most-played favorites.

Apparently, "The Cha Cha Slide" by Mr. C the Slide Man was a huge hit in 2001, but I missed it entirely. I actually did not ever see this dance until 2008, when I chaperoned a middle school dance.



Cha-cha now, ya'll.

I feel I was probably one of the very few who couldn't stand "Lady Marmalade" by Christina Aguilera, Pink, Lil Kim and Mya. It just wasn't my thing, even if the video was kind of cool.



Other songs I loved in 2001:

Beautiful Day -- U2
Follow Me -- Unkle Kracker
Hanging By a Moment -- Lifehouse (Then I bought the CD and realized all 12 songs on it sounded exactly a like. Definitely a one-note band.)
Superman -- Five For Fighting
Only Time -- Enya
The Space Between -- The Dave Matthews Band
When It's Over -- Sugar Ray
Angel -- Shaggy
Let Me Blow Ya Mind -- Eve, featuring Gwen Stefani

Songs I loathed in 2001:

I'm a Slave 4 U -- Britney Spears
Love Don't Cost a Thing -- Jennifer Lopez
Turn Off the Light -- Nelly Furtado
Fallin' -- Alicia Keys
I Hope You Dance -- Lee Ann Womack (talk about overplayed--I heard this yesterday and thought, "What, STILL?!")
Bootylicious -- Destiny's Child (sorry, I just never jumped on that bandwagon)
Hero -- Enrique Iglesias

Forgotten Gem of 2001

I loved this song in 2001! The Corrs were a group of Irish siblings with more success in the UK and Ireland than here, but "Breathless" had some play time in the States.



Notice in the video how little face time the brother of the group gets, while his three sexy sisters writhe and pout at the camera. Heh.

No comments: