Sunday, October 11, 2009

Falling For Fall

One really good thing I can comment on today is the weather. It's chilly out there, and the air even smells like fall. I couldn't be happier--the long, hot, dry summers of Northern California are miserable. We're even supposed to get a little bit of rain this week. Not enough to suit me, but still, I'm happy. I hope to find myself snuggled into my cozy apartment on Tuesday night, listening to the rain outside. I'll drink hot tea (a favorite that just can't be refreshing when it's 100 degrees outside) and read a good book with my cats snuggling nearby.

Fall and winter are the best. Bring on the warm blankets. I'll pull my Snuggie out of the drawer and trade the normal white ankle socks I wear around the apartment for thicker, longer socks. Bring on the soup and oven-baked meals that leave my apartment feeling toasty and smelling marvelous. Give me frosty puffs of air when I breathe, and allow me to dig into my hats, gloves and scarves. I'm ready for long sleeves and not feeling sweaty all the time.

And best of all, I look forward to the crunch of fallen leaves under my feet.

1 comment:

Kristine said...

The sad thing is that out here, summer is mostly unbearable (I miss CA summers!). Winter is literally freezing. And we don't get too much in between. At least that's what it feels like. Can't really plan on the weather for any particular date.