Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Headlines From the LPB Register

What has been going on in the world of Meg of the LPB.

Interviews and Such

Last Thursday, I received a call from a local charter school (under the Aspire umbrella). They wanted to interview me for a K-8 music position. So Friday found me there, answering the standard interview questions. I think I did well, but we'll see if I get called to do a mock lesson for them--competition could be quite fierce.

Yesterday I recieved a call from a K-8 school withing my own district, and this morning from another one, so tomorrow I have TWO interviews (for classroom positions) within two hours of one another.

All this for someone who isn't yet desperate for a job.

If the Skirt Fits...

Or doesn't.

With all of these interviews comes a teensy bit of a problem: nothing fits. My interview outfit that served me so well last summer is TOO BIG! Love.

I managed to find a black skirt. It's way too big, so I cinched it at the waist and tucked it into my pantyhose. I wore a black sweater vest with the mock collar and sleeves combo. It's professional and its the best fit I can find in my wardrobe.

Neighbors

My neighbors continue to drive me batty from time to time. Yesterday there was some noise from the nearby apartment that likes to blast their Hoochie Hoochie Boom Boom music, but it didn't last long. I had my TV on, so I simply turned up the volume and did my best to ignore it. It stopped soon enough.

I have new upstairs neighbors, and they sometimes sound like a herd of wildebeest stampeding around. On Monday night I called security on them because they were partying hardy with their windows open in the middle of the night. Since then, they've been quieter.

Last night I was watching TV when, at 9:00, the power shut off. I looked outside and it looked like only my building and the one directly next to it was out. I could hear the lady who lives right across from me (our front doors face each other) talking to another neighbor, and shuffling off to look for the main circuit breaker.

Because it was dark and I was tired anyway, I went to bed. I had my bedroom window cracked open for fresh air and I could hear her telling the whole neighborhood what was going on after she called PG&E (Pacific Gas and Electric). Turns out something somewhere blew out, and other people to the east of us were without for several hours. They turned ours off, and later, other peoples', to fix the problem. I don't know when it came back on, but the contents of my fridge were okay this morning, and my clocks were blinking.

Thing about this neighbor, though, is that I could hear her as she stood outside of her front door, clear at the other end of my apartment from my bedroom. She is that loud. She seems nice, but she has a booming voice and is constantly yelling at her autistic son.

True Blood

A few months ago, I started reading the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris, and I just love them. I was vaguely aware of a show based on them called True Blood, but I couldn't watch it because I refuse to pay for HBO (I just don't watch enough TV to justify the expense). So I've been patiently waiting for them to come out on DVD.

Well, they're here, and I'm hooked. They're different from the books in some ways, just just as engaging.

So that's what I've been doing this week--curling up on the couch watching True Blood.

Crazy Cat Lady

Mom and Dad are going to SoCal this weekend to help some old friends celebrate 50 years of marriage, so I'll be in Lincoln babysitting the Kindergatos. I'm going up after my 2nd interview tomorrow, and coming back on Monday next week.

While I'm there, I hope to see the HS girls spend some time at A Chance For Bliss. I've offered to come over on Saturday to shovel horse poop.

Lunch with a Ninja

On Sunday, I drove to Walnut Creek to meet a fellow Jezzie named Marie. Her commenting name references ninjas, hence the whole "lunch with a ninja" thing. We had a lovely meal and a long chat--she is just as awesome in real life (former teacher with war stories!) as she is in the Jez world. I hope to get together again soon--and also with another gal we know, who was unavailable this weekend.

And that's it. I've been kind of lazy the last couple of weeks, but that's been necessary after the extra-long school year I had.

More soon.

No comments: