Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Magic of Snoopy Lives On

I have a ratty old Snoopy doll on my night stand. I've never, in my 30 years, been able to pack him away. He sits on my night stand, and travels with me. He even went to England, and let me tell you, Snoopy does not travel in my checked baggage. If my suitcase was loss, I'd be annoyed to lose my clothing and toiletries, but I'd be devestated losing Snoopy. So Snoopy travelled coach, snug in my carry-on bag.
 
Snoopy and I go way back. He fills so many memories I have of my Grandma Bean. She used to pretend he could talk to her, much to the delight of a tiny Meg. She would hold him to her ear--only she could hear him--and nod or shake his head in answer to her questions. Whenever I arrived at Grandma and Grandpa's house to spend the night, Snoopy always wanted to help Grandma in the kitchen.
 
I was fifteen when Grandma died. It was a long battle with cancer, and when she finally escaped her pain, I was ashamed to feel relieved. I know now, with the wisdom of adulthood, that my relief was okay--that she had suffered so much, that she was no longer my beloved Grandma in those last weeks. At the time, though, I didn't understand this. I sat in my bedroom, trying to cry, clutching Snoopy to my chest.
 
When I finally did cry, Snoopy absorbed my tears.
 
This week, I'm showing my kindergartners "Snoopy's Reunion," which I recently bought on DVD. It's got some music, as the puppies have a little country band. The kids have been engrossed in it. Whether it is the lure of Snoopy, or the fact that this isn't just another Disney movie that they've already seen, I don't know.
 
This morning, I brought my Joe Cool doll over from my desk and placed him on the TV stand. One of the little girls asked if she could hold him. Not wanting the kids to fight over him, I said, "No, Snoopy's going to sit up here and watch all of you to make sure you don't talk!"
 
The giggle that came from all 20 of my tiny charges warmed my heart. I caught a glimpse of what Grandma must have felt, watching her tiny granddaughter buy into the magic of a ratty old Snoopy doll so many years ago.

2 comments:

Kristine said...

You need to post a picture of him! How is he holding up these days?

Nancy said...

wow! I am a huge fan of all of your blogs. They are absolutely beautiful! You are an inspiration!!! How do you get those check boxes at the end of each entry?