Friday, May 15, 2009

In the Middle of the Night

What in heaven's name would possess me to put this picture up on my blog? This is greasy-haired, bleary-eyed, throw something on Meg at 12:45 in the morning...this morning.

(Warning: If you don't like TMI posts, this one is not for you...move along.)



Last night, I came home from a Chorale dress rehearsal at about 9:20, excited that I didn't miss too much of the Grey's Anatomy season finale. I turned the TV on and settled in. I have a lot of thoughts and theories on it, but that's not for this post.

I went to bed a little after 11:00, after a quick shower. To get sleepy, I opened up the latest Sookie Stackhouse book and read a few pages. Then I noticed...the itch.

Eww.

Uh...ow.

By midnight, there was no chance of falling asleep. Exasperated, I stomped out of bed, grabbing my cell phone from the night stand and going straight to the kitchen to retrieve my wallet. I called Kaiser, waited on hold for a few minutes, and then spoke to a very kind advice nurse. I didn't really need her to tell me it was a yeast infection, even though I've managed to never have one in 30 years, but I wanted her to confirm it.

By now, I was dancing around, doing a sort of, "Ooh! Ow! Oy vey! Hula dance!" that comes with having a very bad itch "down there."

Turns out I had two options. The nurse could put in a request that I get a prescription for my infection, and pick it up sometime during the day, when Kaiser is open. In the mean time, I had NOTHING to help with the discomfort.

My other option was to find the nearest 24-hour pharmacy and buy some Monistat. I live in Stockton--not really known for being a night-friendly place for young single women, but I figured relief and sleep were just too important. So I set off in Rosie and drove a couple miles down my street to the Safeway...which, sadly, is not 24 hours. I decided the next place I could think of was WalMart (scary prospect), so I set off in that direction. Fortunately, a few blocks further along, I found a Walgreen's that was open, so I popped inside and made my purchase. I did not care one iota that the security guy could plainly see what I was there for. No cares. None. I just wanted to buy it and get the hell home.

I finally got home at about 12:45, snapped the above picture, and then set about reading the lengthy directions for Monistat 7. The relief was immediate, and I was able to go back to bed and get some sleep.

Still, I didn't get a lot of sleep, and I'm still a little bit rank and itchy today, so I stayed home from work and got a three-hour nap in. I feel immensely better for it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have never (knock on wood) had a yeast infection. They sound awful and I hope I never have to experience one. I do, however, get WICKED UTIs. You win some, you lose some.

Meg said...

I've never (knock on wood) had a UTI, and this is my first yeast infection. I think it might have happened because I wore my workout clothes too long--I get pretty sweaty, especially when I'm working with my trainer.

Kristine said...

I get yeast infections pretty often. But they have never hit me that suddenly. Thank goodness that relief is immediate! Oh, and the Rx would not have been. You wanted the Monistat either way, believe me!