Saturday, March 31, 2007

Sugar Shock

No more baked goods, please!!

Oy vey. I feel slightly disgusted by the thought of cookies, cake, brownies and Rice Krispie Treats. I stopped at Raley's on my way home for some groceries and avoided the bakery at all costs. Bring on the vegetables!!

What a day. I stood around in the sun a lot (but, thanks to baby sunscreen with SPF 45, I am not even pink), and sold very little stuff. We made maybe $250. Ouch.

I've been wanting to do a blog update, though, so I will, even though I'm absolutely beat. I have stories and pictures. Good times. Here goes:

Delta Fair

There's a street in this town called Delta Fair Blvd., but that's not what I'm talking about.

A couple of weekends ago I went on a sunrise photo tour of the area, and here's what I came up with--some lovely photos of the Sacramento/San Joaquin Delta. I was there quite early, and already it was busy with people who were there to fish. Some photos...

The sun rising behind Antioch Bridge:


The coastal ranges off in the distance...






Old Downtown Antioch at sunrise:





Adventures in Baking

Let's face it--I cook for one. I don't buy in bulk, and my normal diet is pretty simple, consisting of salads, soup and sandwiches, with fruit and veg on the sides. Breakfast is cereal and either tea or hot chocolate.

Therefore, I don't bake a lot. I've used my oven for pasta bakes and such, but most of the time, I'm a stove-top cook.

So last night, the oven got quite a workout. Two cakes and 80 cookies is a lot of time for an oven to be heated to 350 degrees, and a lot of work for me. Soup just isn't as complicated.

But I was ready:





Notice the phone--that's just in case I needed to call Mom for help.


I also had emergency rations in store, just in case they became necessary:


Fortunately, the first items out of the oven, two nine-inch round pans of carrot cake, were perfect...


...as were the first batch of cookies:


I didn't end up needing the Bailey's.


Let Them Eat Cake

I am glad to report that both of the cakes I made last night sold today. No surprise, they were adorable. Here's proof:

Carrot with cream cheese frosting:


French vanilla with vanilla frosting:


I was especially flattered that the musical one was bought by my students for a party they are having tonight after the spring musical wraps.


The London Shrine

As mentioned in a previous blog, I have a shrine to London in my dining room. I thought it might be a good idea to back that up with pictures.





A poem I wrote shortly after London Semester in 1999:





Lovefest

Last time I was home, I got this darling picture of the Kindergatos in their bed. They love their bed--Mom and Dad bought a bed designed for a small dog, and it turns out it's perfect for accomadating two fat-and-sassy kitties. Here they are in all their glory:





Speaking of Cutie-Patoots...

Here's a great pic of Millie in her Sweet Spot. Perhaps her feet were cold?




Green Shoes!!

You know me, I'm a big shoe person. New shoes can cure almost any bad mood. Whenever I find that perfect pair of shoes, I have to share them with the world. The new shoes I found last weekend are very worth sharing. They are bright green and look marvelous with my white pants and green sweater.

Fabulous!!

Anyway, yes, they're very green, and I love them. I was complimented heavily on them when I wore them to work on Tuesday. They are, quite simply, a great pair of shoes:




Long Day...

I did my grocery shopping on the way home, so that tomorrow can be focused on NASCAR and some light cleaning. Then I came home, had dinner, and a well-deserved reward:



That's a Lemon Drop, FYI. And it was just what I needed. Now I need a nap. Hmm...not a bad idea. : )

Cheers,

Meg (Queen of the Kitchen With Fabulous Taste in Shoes)

No comments: