Thursday, December 01, 2005

Do the Math

There are some advantages to working in retail, I must admit.

I needed a new coat desperately. Navigating the Pacific Northwest with only a light, $15, Wal Mart windbreaker isn't advisable, really. I left my old wool coat in England once I discovered that every time I put an arm in I ripped a new whole in the lining. Tonight I finally found a coat I like and (ahem) that I can afford.

Walking into Mervyn's, I knew that I needed/wanted to use the two $10 gift cards in my purse that Mom got for every $50 she spent last Friday. I only needed to spend $20 to earn $10 off.

Right. So I picked out a jacket. Original price: $48. On sale (40% off) for $23.99.

I found a pair of pajamas I couldn't live without (I seem to feel that way about most pajamas I encounter). Original price: $34. On sale (40% off) for $20.39.

I went to the home department to borrow a calculator from my co-worker. Figured out that in order for my gift cards to work, etc., I must spend another seven dollars. Hopped over to the jewelry department and found a cute pin. Original price: $12. On sale (40% off) for $7.19.

So here's how it works:

Total value of all items without sale prices: $94.

Total value of all items, considering sales, before employee discount and tax: $51.57

Total value of all items after employee discount (15%): $43.83

(Because it's over $40, I can use both $10 gift cards).

Add tax (a whopping 8.6% in WA...yikes!!): $3.77

Total sale: 47.60. Remember, this is $94 worth of stuff. So the total is almost HALF.

Gift cards applied: 2 @ $10.

Total balance due out of MY pocket: $27.60.

That's right. I payed $27.60 for a coat, a pair of pajamas, and a pin. Almost a third of what all of this stuff would cost if none of it had been on sale.

The even better news is that on Sunday, I get to use a card that DOUBLES my employee discount to 30%...but only for the day. And Mom has a card allowing her to use my discount for that one day only. I got a few of them and handed them out at the middle school.

And the best news of all? I got off early tonight due to slow sales and a long, icy drive home. It's 10:15 and normally, I'd have fifteen minutes left of my shift but I'm home, in my new jammies (flannel--nice and warm), bragging about my shopping adventures in my little pink blog.

So good night, my friends.

No comments: