Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Jaffa Cakes

What a happy, happy afternoon!

First, what are Jaffa Cakes?



They are little shorbread biscuits with a dollop of marmalade and a coating of chocloate. They have a low calorie count and they are delicious. And, of course, very British.

I loooove Jaffa Cakes. I ate them fairly regularly because they were a somewhat guilt-free treat. I didn't have enough room to bring any home with me, so it's been a couple of months since I've had any.

A few weeks ago, I sent off a big letter to my girlfriends in England. I think I added it as a P.S. but I did say, "Anyone who sends me Jaffa Cakes will get American treats."

Imagine my surprise when I opened the mailbox today and found a small package addressed to me from my friend Donna. The customs form said, "Jaffa Cakes." The neighbors must think I'm mad because I stood there at the mailbox giggling and saying, "She didn't!!!"

Donna, for those of you who haven't heard about her, worked in the canteen at St. Peter's. She served tea and coffee in the staff room each day, and sold snacks. Since she's in my age-range, we would chat and we became good friends. It was her Hen Night that found me dressed as Bridget Jones, pulling a fit English construction worker. I also went to her wedding in late July, just a week before coming home.

I've been a bit blue lately, missing England and the people there, and missing my friends in Sacramento. I'm also flat broke until my first paycheck comes so I can't even go out and do something fun. I'm even rationing gas! I get about 28 miles to the gallon but I'm still being very conservative.

This definitely brought a huge smile to my face and heart today. Donna is like that, though. She made sure I always had my morning tea in the Snoopy mug and even gave it to me as a departure gift. I can't think of a sweeter, kinder person at St. Peter's, and there were quite a few people there that I liked a lot.

And no, I'm not sharing my Jaffa Cakes. They come 12 to a package, and I'm going to hoard them, savor them and enjoy every last crumb!

Cheers,

Meg

No comments: