Saturday, March 10, 2018

Amsterdam 2018, Part Six: Thursday

The beauty of Thursday in this amazing Amsterdam week was that I had accomplished all the "musts" on my list: the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, Zaanse Schans, Anne Frank House, Royal Palace, etc. etc.

Thursday, then, could be about the little museums, the off-the-beaten-track places I would never think to go to if they weren't free on that amazing I Amsterdam card. So after a leisurely wake-up around 7:00, I set off in search of breakfast, and a plan to see the handbag museum, because why not?

But where to eat breakfast? I walked along the street, peering into places, looking at menus. And then, I found the perfect place.


I had a goat cheese, honey, walnut and rocket sandwich on
a toasted wheat bun. It was as Holy Cow Amazing as
you are probably imagining. 


Hot chocolate and there's that charming little biscuit!

 The Tassen Museum wasn't very large, but it was quite charming. It started when a pair of antique collectors bought a very old German handbag, and decided to learn more about its history. They were so intrigued, they started collecting handbags, and soon opened a small museum in the suburbs of Amsterdam. They wanted to expand, and find a place in central Amsterdam where they could get more visitors. An anonymous donor came along and bought one of the grand old buildings along one of the canals for them.


The lady at the ticket desk told me, "Before you start the tour, be sure to check out the coffee rooms. We offer complimentary tea and coffee, and you can enjoy our sitting rooms."

So I sat at the gorgeous little set-up below with a cup of tea and a biscuit. Utterly charming.





The museum had a lovely gift shop, and I bought myself a little splurge--a gorgeous jade green handbag by Valentino.


Along the same canal is the Dutch Costume Museum, which was my next stop, but along the way, I came across the KattenKabinet, or cat musuem. It features art with cats, and is a charming little place...especially when you encounter it's living residents. They have three, but I only met one. (And yes, the KattenKabinet is on the I Amsterdam card--not free, but heavily discounted, only three Euros.) 



Well, aren't you a piece of art?



I went back for a second visit. He was quite content on his
heater int he window. 

My next stop was the Dutch Costume Museum, a small collection, but very interesting. Dutch historical clothing is, of course, very much stereotyped in the modern souvenirs, but it turns out each region had it's own distinct style.











Women would design their own pattern and stitch their
cap upon their marriage. 

It was getting close to lunch time, and I was ready to sit down and warm up. I found myself back near Dam Square, and an Irish pub begged to me. I checked the menu to see if it had one particular Dutch savory I'd been wanting to try, and then went in.

I don't particularly like coffee, but they had Bailey's coffee,
and it was wonderful. 

This is bitterballen--it's a deep-fried beef ball served with
mustard. Delicious.

The New Church is on Dam Square, so I used my I Amsterdam card to get in and see the art installation going on there. It turns out this is where King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima were married. Crowds gathered in Dam Square to watch the ceremony on large screens, and when the couple said, "I do," a huge cheer went up, which could be heard in the church. The royal couple giggled as it interrupted the ceremony a bit.

I think that's rather lovely.






I found Koons' Gazing Ball rather underwhelming. 


Outside, back in Dam Square, I made a new friend.





It was a gorgeous day, and I was quite happy to wander for a while. Amsterdam looks amazing in the sunshine.


I found a used book store, and was delighted to find a Sesame Street book in Dutch to take back for my school's library.




 


Amsterdam also plays up its reputation for the tourists. 




 


Crooked buildings--I found them so charming.



I wandered to Amsterdam Centraal, not to get a train, but
to walk up a nearby street to take the next few pictures
of buildings that I had seen many times on Instagram. 









Both ducks came up and tried to eat Cali Swimmy, before
realizing he's not food.

The Catholic Church of St. Nicholas. 

I would be out of Amsterdam on Friday, so I decided the smart thing to do would be to get my major souvenir-buying finished up on Thursday, then pack it all into my suitcase that night. It was back to the floating Bloemenmarkt for me, so I could stock up.




I stopped at a little Delft shop, too--though I'd be in the actual Delft Works on Friday, I didn't want to have to carry everything around the rest of the day.

I took pictures of Rembrandt Square on Monday, but now I was back again in the sunlight, and it looked even better.









I needed to be up early Friday to catch my train to Delft, and I knew I'd be late getting back, so I started packing for my journey home on Thursday night, leaving out only the things I would need.

Possibly one of my favorite souvenirs--Vincent is now living
in my classroom and making my 6th graders roll their eyes
at me. 
 I took a quick break to walk down the street to a French restaurant I'd noticed.


Salad with fresh goat cheese, toasted walnuts, and honey. No
other dressing. So simple and delicious.

French Onion soup. 

A glass of rose, of course.

They gave me complimentary bread with herb butter.
That whole amazing dinner was under twenty Euros, and it was absolutely wonderful. The restaurant itself was yet another tiny little place with flowers and candles on the table.

Fed and happy, it was back to my hotel to crash for a good night's sleep.

No comments: