Friday, March 09, 2018

Amsterdam 2018, Part Five: Wednesday Wandering, and Duckie Fun

I didn't trouble myself by getting up too early on Wednesday, as nothing would open for breakfast before 8:00, and my first "appointment" of the day was a 9:00 visit to the Vincent van Gogh Museum.

Some of the more popular museums in Amsterdam, including van Gogh and Anne Frank House, require visitors to set up a time they wish to come, to keep admissions in check. I had booked a time to see van Gogh the night before, and I was very excited to see their massive collection.

On my way there, I walked on the opposite side of the Prinsengracht than I had been walking, and found an awesome little motor boat.


Fortunately, there was breakfast available near the museum.

Hot chocolate. Every time I ordered tea or hot chocolate,
it came with a single small sweet biscuit. For some reason,
I think this is just as charming as every restaurant having
candles and fresh flowers on the tables.

Bacon and egg breakfast sandwich. 


Photography is not allowed in the museum, but let me just say that it is incredible, especially if, like me, you love art of van Gogh's era. He wasn't quite the same as the Impressionists, but he had that grand, colorful style and those short, vivid brush strokes. Being able to stand inches away from his paintings, observing his technique and how he used color so brilliantly--amazing. So amazing.

Of course, I spent a bunch of money in the gift shop--pens, a ruler for me to use at school in creating my own art, a Vincent finger puppet (come on, I had to), a book, and several large post cards of his works that reside there. I was sorely tempted by the blouses and scarves depicting his paintings, but I didn't buy any, as they were quite pricey.

Happy van Gogh viewer. 
 After the museum, I wandered around the immediate area, in search of an ATM.

I would be back here in the evening for a concert.


The Dutch come across as so secular, that seeing this was
almost shocking.

Next, it was off to the Amsterdam Museum, which is one of those places I might have missed had I not bought the I Amsterdam card. Because I had the card, this one was free, so I got to enjoy a lot of history about the city itself and how it came to be. It was an interesting museum, but I couldn't shake off a school group and their loud tour guide, which made it hard to focus on hearing the audio tour.

By now, I was getting to be a bit expert on the trams. 




There was a large wall with a figure for one of every Jewish
person from Amsterdam who perished in World War II.

A courtyard at the Amsterdam Museum.
 After this, I found myself back in Dam Square, where the Royal Palace and other buildings looked even more amazing in the sunshine.



Now it was time for a wander. I was getting hungry for lunch, but had no set plans. Half the fun on this trip was stumbling around until I found a place that struck my fancy, all while taking pictures of the buildings and the canals.





I got momentarily lost, and as I wound my way back out, I glanced down a small alleyway and saw a restaurant. I decided to look, and was immediately charmed. All of the tables had different tiles on them, there were hanging flowers, etc. And, of course, flowers and candles on every table. I had a fruit smoothie and a caprese salad sandwich.


Suitably fed, I wandered some more, on my way to the famous Waterlooplein Market, an outdoor flea market.















Queen Wilhelmina
 The flea market was one of those really fantastic ones that had everything from organized souvenir sellers to people with boxes full of stuff you could dig through.







While there, I found a vendor who was selling van Gogh clothing items a bit like the ones in the museum. I bought a fabulous Starry Night skirt and I've worn it twice now since coming home--both times, students and colleagues alike have complimented it. I wish I'd bought the sunflowers one, too.



The market was very near to the Rembrandt House Museum, another freebie on my I Amsterdam card, and one I was very happy to see.



Rembrandt lived here.
 The house is set up much as it would have been in Rembrandt's time there, complete with beds in cabinets and studio space for the master artist.




I cannot imagine sleeping in one of these. I'd probably have
a panic attack.

By this time, I was getting tired enough that sitting for a while was just what I needed.


Another view of Rembrandt's house.
 I made my way over to Amsterdam Centraal Station, and found a canal boat tour...another freebie on the I Amsterdam card.

But first, a selfie.








The cruise was marvelous--just an hour, with an audio guide available in about 17 different languages. It was fun to see the city from a slightly different angle and also nice to see it while sitting on my booty for a change.






























I got back to Centraal just in time to be ready...ready to meet my fellow duck lady, Amanda!

Long story short--it started in an online forum for the band Keane, where jokes were made, bonds were formed, and the symbol of it all--a rubber duck--was laughed about. There are five of us: Meg in California, Lindsay in Michigan, Maayan in New York, Sarah in England, and Amanda in the Netherlands--Delft, to be specific. She was in Amsterdam for work that day and we had agreed to meet for dinner. I was also going to meet her in Delft on Friday, but that's a later post.

We walked to an Italian restaurant Amanda knows of, chattering all the way and ready to eat. Dinner had to be somewhat quick, as I had a concert to get to, so there was one picture that evening, of Cali Swimmy and Eendje Swimmy.


I had to rush a bit to make it to my show, but it was so worth it.

See, a month or so before my trip, I was looking at Google maps and saw that Amsterdam has a lovely old concert hall, the Concertgebouw. "Oooh, maybe I should see a concert while I'm there!" I looked at the calendar and almost yelled out in delight when I saw that none other than Wynton Marsalis and the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra would be visiting.

The Marsalis family are jazz legends in the United States. Wynton is a trumpeter, and to see him playing live with a top-notch band? Amazing. And the tickets were not expensive by my usual standards. I had to go.

The concert was, of course, incredible. I love jazz and all of the little musical jokes jazz musicians put into their improvisations. Jazz is such a living genre of music--it's always changing, always different. I love that.

But of course, I was on Tourist Time. By the end of the evening, I was actually nodding off in my seat! I would find my head jerking forward, even as my feet and fingers continued tapping along with the music. It was hilarious, and a little embarrassing.

Fortunately, Thursday was a no-rush day. I had no major plans, so after my concert, I was able to walk back to my hotel, have a shower, and crash in bed with no early wake-up time.

Just the way I like it.

No comments: