Saturday, March 14, 2015

Go Big or Go Home

Tonight, I am singing a Mozart mass with Sac Choral, and tomorrow I'm running a half marathon. I mean, why wouldn't I register for a half that's the same weekend as a concert?

I didn't do it on purpose. By the time I figured it all out, I didn't want to back out of the Shamrock'n, so I got a bright idea: hotel room.

With our concert starting at 8:00 tonight (you should go), there's no way I'd be home a minute before 10:30--it's about 45 minutes from Sacramento to Lincoln. When I got home, I'd have to shower (that Goth Anne of Green Gables dress doesn't exactly breathe under stage lights), buzz around my room a bit, and come down from the post-concert high. Midnight would be the earliest possible time that my body would be ready to go to sleep. The alarm would go off at 5:30 and I'd have to drive 45 minutes back to Sacramento for the race. It all seems too ridiculous.

So I booked a room at the Hyatt. It's right next door to the Community Center Theater, so I can shower, come down from the high, etc., much earlier and get some decent sleep. I won't have to get up at 5:30 to get ready, drive, find parking, etc. I can leave the hotel at 7:15 and have plenty of time before my wave starts at 8:30.

I'm making a mini-adventure out of it. I called this morning and there's plenty of availability, so I can check in early. I'll drop my stuff off, then walk a mile to Fleet Feet to pick up my bib and stuff for tomorrow. I'll make a tour of it, taking pics and stopping to get some food. I have to rehearse from 3:30 to 6:00, then I get about an hour-and-a-half to relax (next door, in my hotel room) and get dolled up in my infamous dress and customary red lippie before walking back to the theater for the concert.

It's a crazy weekend, for sure--though this morning has been relaxed and lazy and lovely--but it's worth it. I love singing with Sac Choral and I am proud of my running. Okay, okay. I love running, too. ; )

No comments: