Thursday, June 05, 2014

Hot Fun in the Summertime

My first week of summer vacation is coming to a close, and I must say, I've been using my time wisely.

On Monday, of course, I went hiking up at Lake Tahoe, and had a great time with my colleagues there. It turns out I work with some incredibly entertaining and hilarious people. Teaching will hone your sense of humor.

On Tuesday, I headed out for a little 5K run in the morning, then came home and did the lazy thing for several hours before going to Fusion to teach some piano lessons. That evening, I gave notice to the owner and the parents of my students that I'll be leaving at the end of this month. I mentioned it on Facebook, but not here at the LPB that it is now official: I will be at 50% of a full-time contract this coming school year!! I'm very, very happy about this. My new course will be a piano lab.

Wednesday meant a trip to the gym and some random errands. I needed a few things from my storage unit, and I ran by Target and the post office. When I got home, I got a bee in my bonnet to sit down and start lesson plans for my summer job, which starts July 3rd. I want to have a head start on that. Last year I used Power Point presentations to great advantage. The students--all visiting the States to practice English--will benefit from being able to read the points I'm making as they hear me say them.

Today, I headed out for a very warm 4.25-mile run, then came home to work on another project--arranging a song for the upcoming school year. I had a few lessons tonight, and now I'm just bumming around at my desk, working on that arrangement and checking in on Facebook.

Tomorrow morning will find me at the gym again. I'm a morning person, so I don't mind going in early. It's less crowded, and while I don't know everyone, at least most of them are familiar to me by sight, and there's something comforting in that.

Next week I might spend some time in my office, working on my choral library and getting my files organized for a new fiscal year. I have a few projects to work on in my classroom this summer, but those can be done here and there.

I'm thoroughly enjoying my down time. I really needed it. I know, however, that soon enough I'll be ready to get back into the action. I get a lot of satisfaction from my job and my school, and I have a Big Plan for our October Concert. Stay tuned for that one--it's good!

No comments: