Sunday, November 24, 2013

Days of Thankfulness, Day 24

I know it's going to seem silly, but today, I'm thankful for a band.

Of course, it's Keane.

Yes, it's silly to be thankful for a band, but if ever there was a group that helped me through a period in my life that I really needed something bigger than myself, this band is it. I discovered them just after I started losing weight, and their music helped me power through those earliest days of running (even now, the lyrics, "If only I don't bend and break..." flit through my head when I think of sweating it out on the treadmill, glaring at G. the Meanie and thinking, "I'll never be a runner!"). The friendships I made through their forum sustained me when I was newly unemployed, and to this day, I have some really lovely people in my life because we all happen to love this English band.

I love interacting with Richard on Twitter (he's so sweet to all of us fans, and I hate how some take advantage of this), listening to "Somewhere Only We Know" when I need a pick-me-up. I love making my fingers bleed (okay, not literally) when I play the opening chords to "Perfect Symmetry" on the piano, and I love that every time I've met any member of Keane, they've been the opposite of the typical rock star--just humble, appreciative of the fans, and quick to smile. They're good guys, and they happen to be very good at what they do.

They're going on an indefinite hiatus for now, as some members become fathers, and Tom takes time to explore the possibility of a solo album. I will miss the updates from the studio or the road, but I'm happy to listen to my extensive library of Keane songs in my iTunes library, and hope that in time, they get back to being Keane, making great albums and touring the world, making friends at each stop.

I took part in the Keane World Flag project, and came up with the idea of
using a state flag, not just country flags. The guys--especially Richard--
were really touched with the final product.

Richard and I after a 2010 gig in Oakland. "I like your shirt," he told me.
It has a camera and the words, "And that's when I snapped" on it. I still
have it!

Me, to Tim: "Oh, my God, you're so tall!" He just laughed.

July 2012. To my everlasting chagrin, the lady in front of me lifted her arm,
blocking out poor Jesse. Left to right: Jesse, Tom, Tim, Richard.

All four signatures!

This pic was nicked from the Keane website--the green dress? That's me.

Cali Swimmy was soooo excited for his first Keane gig.

No comments: