Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Run, Run, Zzzzz...

I've been working on upping my running mileage...Matt the Reasonable recently suggested I run longer on my non-gym days, but then limit my running on the harder workout days to doing sprints on the treadmill. Not that the sprints are easy by any means! Eight thirty-second sprints at 8 mph is still quite a bit of work for me.

Yesterday, in a brief chat, Matt asked me when my next race is. I hedged a bit in my answer. "Well, I was looking at one in July, but I am determined to get a sub-thirty, and I've been waiting to register 'til I feel my running is better, and I've been pushing the mileage, and..." Even as the words left my mouth, I knew what was coming.

First, a big grin, followed by, "I think you should just sign up for a race."

"I know...I know...and thing is, most race courses are flatter than what I've been running, so I'd be faster just from that."

"Exactly. So. Find one!"

So I did. Last night, I registered for the Fab 40s 5K in July, and I'll be aiming for that sub-thirty. Even if I come in at 29:59, I'll be happy! My previous best race time, back in November, is 31:37, so I know I can do this if I keep up the long runs and the sprints.

This morning, I did four miles--there was a bit of walking, as my neighborhood is hilly, and as a poor night of sleep last night had left me tired. But I made it, and even though my body absolutely hates me this afternoon, I'm still feeling a bit of smug satisfaction. Tomorrow, it's back to the gym for circuit training and sprints...and maybe a bit of bragging. ; )

No comments: