Thursday, May 16, 2013

Lists

In the past, I'm sure I've mentioned my To Do Lists (also called Goal Lists) that I type up each week, outline format. And I'm sure there has been a reader or two who chuckled and thought, "Oh, funny, Meg...I know you're not that crazy-organized."

Actually, I am.

It's almost embarrassing. I mean, really. Who needs a daily check-off list--typed--to remember to take a pill or floss their teeth? I do.

I've always been one to make lists because it's easy, sometimes, for me to forget some of the little things that need doing. But in my period of unemployment, I found it was all too easy to spend whole days getting absolutely nothing of value accomplished except a good workout and some cooking and light housekeeping. It kept me alive, but it didn't exactly help my jobless circumstances. So I started making weekly goal lists, with a reward at the end, like a new DVD or book. Mostly, the reward didn't help me finish things; what helped was having the list and the satisfaction I take from checking things off, and seeing a whole week of goals accomplished.

I suppose it's good for my scattered brain to have something to come back to, to remind me that yes, my teeth need flossing every night, and oh, don't forget you told that piano student you'd bring a new book. I wouldn't necessarily forget to update my grades at Petite School each week if it wasn't on my list, but I put it there so that I won't procrastinate. I make a sort of game out of crossing as many things off the list before mid-week (my weeks and lists start on Sunday).

And yes, it's outline format. There's a section for stuff I need to do for Petite School, a section for my private music teaching, a section of random business I need to take care of (appointments, choir stuff, etc.). I have a budget section that reminds me when to pay my Mastercard, and a household section. One for eBay and Etsy business.

My system works for me. It keeps me grounded and sane when things get busy. I'm working on a big list for tomorrow and Saturday. Basically, once I leave for Petite School at 6:45, I won't see my house again 'til 10:00 at night. A full day of work, a stop at the gym, and a long choir rehearsal will keep me busy. I'm actually making a list of food to take with me so I don't go hungry, or end up buying junk.

There is something comforting about seeing that list and thinking, "Okay, this is where I'm supposed to be, what I'm supposed to be doing." I even schedule in my personal time, because goodness knows I need that, too.

Maybe it's strange, but I can't imagine going through my week without my list. I keep it in my planner. It's saved me more than once.

No comments: