Thursday, August 09, 2012

Heroes

There are mornings I get up and the last thing--the very last thing--I want to do is run. I'm tired. It's hot. My knee is twinging. I'm bloated. Whine, whine, whine, don't wanna.

But I do it, because I feel better when I run. I feel sluggish when I don't. I do it because it helps me lose weight, keep the weight off. I do it because it's good for my heart, but also good for my soul.

And I do it because I can.

On various feminist blogs I follow, I've heard of the women from various Muslim countries who have been finally granted the right to compete in the Olympics--women from Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Afghanistan, and other countries that previously balked at allowing women to participate in sports. This year, every country represented at the Olympics has at least one woman on its team--a first in modern Olympic history.

Some of these women have to have bodyguards when they train. Some of them could be assassinated for daring to be a runner. But they do it anyway, because they want to make a change in their countries, to ensure that the girls who come after them will have more opportunities.

My hat is off to them.

Tonight, I saw this article linked on Twitter--it brought tears to my eyes. The author, Stephen Hume, is right on the money. These women are some of the truest heroes of the Olympic games...and they are finishing dead last. While the fastest and the strongest get the glory of medals and photo ops and anthems ringing out, these incredible women are quietly and courageously making history.

Tomorrow morning, I have to get up early to run before the heat sets in on another 100+ degree day. No doubt I'll moan when the alarm goes off, wish for more sleep, whine a little as my calves ache at the very thought of hitting the pavement.

But I will get out there and run, because I can, and because I owe it to these women to do my part to make this world safer and easier for women who want to run.

To quote Mr. Hume: "Not all Olympic champions stand on the podium. Some finish last."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great post--I completely agree with you. When I don't want to run or when I start to hit a wall, I remind myself to run for those who can't. Without fail, this thought gives me a surge of energy.