Friday, July 13, 2012

Amazing. Impossible. True.

I weighed in on Monday morning. I didn't think I'd be lighter, after a scandalous amount of 4th of July eating and with Auntie Flo in town this week...but there it was. 138.

My original goal weight, set three-and-a-half years ago with B. the Sadist, was 130.

M. the Reasonable and I never really put a number down as a goal weight, and the last time I asked him about it, he just grinned and gave me a good non-answer along the lines of, "Well, let's get you to 130 and then see what your body wants to do from there." It's anyone's guess, really. Does my body want to be 130? 125? Maybe even 120? M. suggested that I might have a "fighting" weight of 127 or so, and a "winter" weight of 132. It remains to be seen. But the fact remains that I'm eight pounds from that original goal, and when I see one-three-zero on the scale, I'm really going to feel that I've made it.

It seems impossible. Wild, even...and yes, Absolutely True.

In the end, the number doesn't really matter. Once I've seen 130, I won't stop caring about the weight, but I'll stop worrying quite so much about it. The focus now is shifting, ever-so-slightly, from weight loss to maintenance, and to continuing the healthy lifestyle I've adopted. Not to mention that whole triathlon thing.

Yesterday, my new principal asked me a couple of questions as I filled out the endless paperwork that comes with any new teaching position. She likes to know her employees and one of the questions was, "What--besides the obvious, I know you're into music--are your hobbies and interests?" I was proud to tell her that I run and swim, that I'm planning to buy a bike within the next month or so. I was proud to tell her that I intend to complete a short triathlon in 2013. I won't be the fastest person out there, but by God, I will finish.

It's good to have goals.

It's even better to smash them. ; )

No comments: