Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Kicking My Own Butt

Hard to believe, but it's already been three weeks since my last appointment with M. the Reasonable. He's been keeping up with my progress, and last week, he reminded me that I'd need a new workout this week. I'm on a cycle where I do a set of workouts (Monday, Wednesday and Friday) for four weeks and then switch things up to keep my muscles guessing. He offered to meet with me this week, on his own time (what a sweetie!) and give me a couple of new routines.

On Sunday night, he texted me some times we could meet on Wednesday and Friday. I texted back and asked what I should do in the meantime, on Monday morning. "Should I do last Monday's workout?"

Instead of that, he challenged me to come up with my own routine.

At first, I had squats. No, not "squat," squats. On a Bosu ball. Before long, I'd added more, and this is what I ended up with:

  • 1 minute Bosu squats
  • 10 seconds rest
  • 1 minute plank
  • 10 seconds rest
  • 1 minute step ups (holding 15 pounds in each hand)
  • 10 seconds rest
  • 1 minute push-up rows (15 pounds)

As with my recent workouts given me by M., this is done three times, with a 1-minute rest between sets.

I added three sets of 20 leg-lifts and Tabata intervals on the stationary bike. The workout was suitably grueling, and I was drenched in sweat by the time I finished.

To kill some time before an appointment, I got on the rowing machine for 20 minutes. While I was doing that, M. approached to ask what I'd come up with. He was impressed by my workout, and especially that I'd added the push-up rows. You see, last time I attempted those with him, I couldn't do them. I love getting stronger!

So it turns out I can come up with a good whole-body workout that makes me work hard...but I admit, I'm looking forward to working with M. tomorrow, for the extra motivation. I miss working with him.

Yesterday, he got a big grin on his face and said, "I'll come up with something really nasty for you for Wednesday." All I could do was laugh and say, "Bring it!"

No comments: