Sunday, April 08, 2012

Giving Rugby A "Try"

The title of this post is a weak pun, based on a term I heard a lot yesterday, a "try." Anyway, carry on...

Yesterday, I got to tag along with my friend Sharon for her weekly expedition to the bay area for some rugby.

Sharon supports the San Francisco Golden Gate Rugby Club, who play on a pitch on Treasure Island, the man-made addition to Yerba Buena Island, which marks the halfway point of the Bay Bridge from Oakland to San Francisco.

We arrived early to hang out in the clubhouse as the players started arriving, both the SF guys and the visiting team, Old Puget Sound Beach Rugby Club out of Seattle. But when we got there, it was quiet, so I wandered around taking some pictures.

Took this while we drove the eastern span of the Bay Bridge--the new
construction is really coming along.

Western Span of the Bay Bridge and San Francisco from Yerba
Buena Island.

Driving off of natural Yerba Buena onto the man-made Treasure
Island.

Looking back at the Eastern Span.

Sharon's car. : )










Cali Swimmy wants to be an MVP. He's already a Most Valuable Ducky.

"Pint of Quackers, please!"

The Seattle team arrives...
 I wandered outside for a moment to take some pictures.





Finally, Sharon and I wandered out to the pitch to get some pics and to watch the "seniors," game, a game for the over-35s, and my first-ever rugby match.

Across the pitch, a view of the Trans-America
Building.

From the other side of the pitch, the Eastern Span.



There's always a blimp over the bay on a Saturday, it seems.

Before the seniors match, I snuck out to get this awesome shot.

The "seniors"--the green and white shirts are the home team.

They're not all that old, really. ; )








About halfway through the game, I noticed one of "our" guys limping off the field. Someone in the bleachers called out to him, asking what happened. The guy grimaced and said, "Hamstring ripped. I felt it tear."

People, sore hamstrings after a workout with M. the Reasonable leave me whining and dreading my daily run. A torn hamstring would have me writhing on the ground, in tears, screaming for a medic. This guy was calmly limping off the field--no assistance!--and asking for some ice.

Oh, and there was an 80-year-old out there playing.

Hardcore.

Sharon was doing some photography from the other side of the pitch, but I had decided to watch both games from the bleachers, where I could talk to people and ask questions, and be part of the crowd. This ended up being the best decision, as I met some really nice people and learned a bit about the game in the process.

The main game was the league game; these guys are actually paid (not a ton; they have day jobs, too) to play. This game was faster-paced, and the crowd was larger and louder.

The home team takes the pitch.

No idea what this big hug-fest is about, but loving the view!



Some of the Seattle guys.

Sometimes they kick the ball.



Rugby is very physical--they're always moving, always looking.

Great action shot.





No, it's not a group hug. They're preparing to huddle up and fight over
the ball again.


"Oy! Watch your hands!!!"




Half time


After the game, I found myself briefly standing next
to this guy in the clubhouse. He is at least 6'6". HUGE.

Big Guy is perfect for tossing up to catch the ball.

In the end, the Golden Gates lost...but that didn't stop them from having
some pints with the Seattle guys in the clubhouse!
By the end of the game, I'd befriended a couple of men sitting nearby--one was a sometimes SF player who is currently injured and the other one of the seniors. They were happy to explain things to the newbie--all I had to do was smile and say, "So...this is my first-ever rugby match and I have some questions..." Everyone was friendly and welcoming.

After the game, Sharon and I stuck around the clubhouse for a while having a couple of drinks and chatting with people. We ended up sitting with four guys from the Seattle team that Sharon has known for a while, who were all quite lovely. Two Americans, an Australian and an Irish guy, all of them adorable and charming, and willing to answer a few more questions from the rugby newbie.

And...the most awesome part. Willing to take pictures with me and a certain lucky ducky.

For the record, that hoodie wasn't always too big on me.

That's my "mischief managed" necklace. Mischief managed, indeed.
These guys hardly batted an eyelash at the duck.
By the time Sharon and I had stopped for dinner (and the AWESOME Up and Under Pub in Richmond), it was getting later. We arrived back in Stockton at about 10:30, and I got back to Lincoln just before midnight. I showered the sunblock, makeup and dirt of the day off and fell, exhausted, into bed.

I haven't even attempted a run today, though I might this evening because I feel guilty.

But that can wait 'til after Easter dinner. : )

So I'm hooked--rugby is a really fun sport--it's so physical and those guys are tough. I will definitely go again at some point!

3 comments:

Erik Ammon said...

Oh, how I miss the parties after a match! Any rookies score their first try? Ask about that, see what they have to do :)
I absolutely loved playing. It's an amazing sport!

HubbleSpacePaws said...

After that photo spread I've got to wonder why rugby hasn't caught on here, at least with the women folk - love those huddles (and the buns and thighs they so excellently showcase!).

Meg said...

Ha! Lisa, you made me laugh out loud with that. The buns and thighs are, indeed, lovely.

Erik, it was so much fun to watch! I'll definitely go again.