Saturday, March 17, 2012

My Third 5K

Today, I ran the Folsom Shamrock 5K in my old hometown. I woke up tired after a so-so night of sleep, and a little nervous from the lack of running I've gotten this week. However, it wasn't raining (yay!) and the sun even peeked out for a while, so I drove to Folsom bright and early to shamrock-and-roll with other running nerds.

The race wasn't terribly well-organized, but I don't hold it against the event organizers. The original organizers were killed in December, and the fact that this race happened at all is due to people stepping up and taking over a few weeks ago so that it could go on. If it started late and the organizers were shorted a box of t-shirts, I don't really care (I never really want the t-shirts anyway).

Part of the route was flooded out, so a quick change was made this morning that had us running across a street. "But don't worry," we were told. "It's not a busy street. You should be fine."

Umm, it was East Bidwell Street, which is a main thoroughfare through the main business district of Folsom, but we all made it across with no incident. I had to laugh, though, when I got to it and thought, "Not a busy street?! Hello!"

I don't have my official time yet, or any idea what neighborhood it might be in, except that it had to have been slower than my last race (34:50). I walked a lot this morning, but I don't feel bad. The last time I got outside to run was last Sunday, and aside from a few short warm-up sprints on the treadmill, I've stuck to other forms of cardio this week as the rainy weather drove me indoors.

Overall, it was a good effort. I had some cramping in my calves and since I've arrived home, my glutes and hamstrings have been a bit sore.

Now I need to find a race for April and step up the running times!

My green striped socks clashed with my Mizunos, but I won't run in
any other shoe.

I wore Snoopy and Woodstock on my shirt...

...and Cali Swimmy on my wrist. I don't have the luck of the Irish, but I
do have the luck of the rubber ducky!

No comments: