Tuesday, January 17, 2012

SOPA/PIPA

I've been paying behind-the-scenes attention to the bills coming up in Congress that have many, many people worried about Internet censorship and our ability to freely blog, use Facebook, Twitter, and many other popular web sites.

Tomorrow, a large-scale online protest is happening--you may have heard about Wikipedia "going dark" for a day. The goal is to encourage everyone who uses the Internet for anything to contact their representatives (if you click on THIS LINK, it's super-easy to fill in your info and contact them within about thirty seconds). Use your voice, people--the elected officials don't run this country, WE do. Tell them you won't stand for Internet censorship!

This video does a pretty good job explaining how SOPA and PIPA would affect us all:


In support of this strike, I will not be blogging tomorrow (the Wordless Wednesday post you will see was scheduled tonight, to make a point). I will be using the Internet--I have daily job-hunting tasks that have to be done, after all--but my blog will be silent. If I have some sort of inspiration to post, it will have to wait 'til Thursday, and as I am the type to write blog posts as they come to me, this pains me. I can't imagine my right to this blog--which I've kept for over seven years--ever being taken from me. It would break my heart.

No comments: