Monday, January 16, 2012

Monday Music: Beck

Here's the thing about Beck--I was aware of him in the 1990s, but I was so immersed in my love of pop music that I didn't pay a whole lot of attention (though I always giggled at the song "Loser").

Fast forward to 2011, and Meg, who is hopeless when it comes to knowledge of the truly good music from the 1990s, has a chance to see Beck live at the Bridge School Benefit concert. And she likes what she hears.

Determined to hear more and form an opinion, once and for all, about Beck, she files away the idea that she needs to do some YouTube research. And then promptly forgets.

Fast forward again to a couple of months later. I was talking to M. the Reasonable about music during a workout  in December and he made an off-hand mention of Beck (M. and I are of the same generation and also in very close agreement about what makes for good music). That evening, at home, I finally gave Beck a good, serious listen on YouTube and I walked away amazed. After all these years, I'm finally one of the cool kids who knows just how awesome Beck is.

Anyway, here's one of my favorites from his playlist.

No comments: