Sunday, January 22, 2012

My First 5K

Today I ran the Whole Foods Running School Family Fun Run in Roseville, CA. Three or four months ago, I found a flyer for it while shopping at Whole Foods (gah, I love that store) and took it home, thinking, "Hmm. Maybe." Since then, I started training with M. the Reasonable, and as he encouraged my daily running, I started to think about making this 5K a goal for January. Right after New Year's, I signed up.

Here's the thing with me and running: I'm a lot better at it than I think I am. My biggest battle these days isn't shin splints and huge discomfort. I rarely (knock on wood) even have pain. My biggest battle is that stupid little voice in my head that keeps telling me, "You're not a runner." The devil on one shoulder keeps telling me that, while the angel on the other shoulder protests.

You know, like this.


So, yeah. I don't always believe in myself. The good news is, that's starting to change. Still, I approached today's "fun run" race with some trepidation.

My usual daily run course takes me about two-and-a-half miles. Most days, I can run it without stopping or walking. I haven't pushed myself to three miles in more than a year, and the last time I ran a sub-10-minute mile was July 2010. But since going back to training, I've been gaining confidence and even some speed, in small increments.

Anyway, I'm getting away from the original point of this post, which is to talk about today's race! 

Last night, I asked my fellow runners on Twitter for advice about running a 5K in the rain. I got some great responses, including:


I also made a great 5K playlist on my iPod, using some of my favorite "running anthems" to inspire me along the route:

Yep, two songs with copious use of the f-word. I actually use "F*** You" to
tell that little devil in my head to go away and leave me alone.

This morning, I donned my red shirt (Why red? In honor of The Bloggess and her Traveling Red Dress Project.), but ended up abandoning the hat.


The 5K started at 8:50, so I arrived at Whole Foods at about 7:30, wanting a good parking spot and an easy registration. I've walked some untimed 5Ks in the past, but today was the first time I've ever had a timing chip. I collected my race bib (#759) and promptly...went back to my car to get warm.

And to take random pictures.
My race bib, my timing chip, my iPod, and my lucky rubber ducky. Also, my
new Nike shoe wallet to hold my car key and Chapstick.

Of COURSE Cali Swimmy had to come along! I used a couple of hair ties
to tether him to my wrist.
At 8:30, I went to the starting line to watch the 13-milers start their race. It was fun to cheer them on, and, ten minutes later, the 10K runners. Then I lined up near the start and walked in place and jumped around a bit to get warm. Finally, it was time for the 5K runners to go.

I started off at a reasonable pace--I am not a fast runner, but I knew I'd beat the walkers, anyway! I had to laugh when a lady passed me with her three-legged dog and it occurred to me that even a dog that's missing a leg is faster than I am. After that, I decided not to worry about how I ran compared to others, and to just enjoy the run as much as possible. (Some people enjoy running. I tolerate running and enjoy how I feel when I'm finished.)

I'm not gonna lie--I walked more of today's race than I intended to. There were some small hills that did me in (I run in a hilly neighborhood every day but I've got a route that goes mostly downhill and leaves the uphill parts for my cool-down walk back home). And my biggest complaint about "fun run" races like this one remains--dogs (except, of course, service dogs) should not be allowed. Not because a three-legged dog passed me, but because a little yappy dog almost tripped me by darting out in front of me with a taught leash. 

But overall, I did very well, and just treated it like my normal Sunday morning run. As I approached the finish line, I felt like I'd accomplished something good, and very, very proud of myself. The clock said 37:03 as I crossed the line, but I'll have to wait to see what my official time was. I'm also waiting for the photographers who were there to get the pics up online, so I can see myself in action. 

I went into today's race with what some might call low expectations. I didn't want to set a best time. I didn't expect--at all--to place within my age group. All I wanted was to go out there and prove--to myself--that I can get out there and do a 5K. I wanted to finish in less than 40 minutes. 

Mission accomplished.

When I got back to my car, I dug my cell phone and wallet out from under the seat and saw a text message waiting for me. It was from M. the Reasonable, just before the race started, wishing me luck. I texted a simple reply: "I did it!" 

Within a few minutes, I had his response: "I knew you would! Great job!" He's very supportive, is M.

I'm pleased with myself. I'm looking for more races to do, to keep challenging myself, and in the mean time, I'll continue running my daily neighborhood jaunt (well, not daily, I run it five days a week) and improving my time, my form, and most importantly, my confidence.

3 comments:

Diane Fit to the Finish said...

Congratulations on running your first 5K. Honestly, it is something you will never forget. And you are right about that voice in your head - that's often the one we either need to pay close attention to, or ignore completely!

Nefarious Newt said...

Hey, congrats! And you don't have to be a runner to run... you just have to be yourself.

applenooker said...

EEeeeps! I totally wanted to run this too! So kudos and congrats :o)

See you on Dailymile!!