Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Hardcore

A couple of weeks ago, in one of my typical, rambling conversations with M. the Reasonable, it somehow came up that earlier this month, I came home from a run and removed my running shoes, only to find that I had a blood stain on one sock. My fourth toe was bleeding around the toenail, and I never did figure out why.

As I said to M. at that appointment, "I didn't feel a thing while I was running!"

His response was to slightly widen his eyes, smile slowly, and say, "That...is savage."

Laughing, I told him, "Hey, I'm hardcore."

"Yes, yes, you are!"

Fast forward to Sunday. I went on my run and felt just fine--it was a very good run, actually. I arrived home to find that--oh, gah--I have a fresh blister on my left heel. It's a recurring thing these days. I had bled through my sock onto the inside of my fancy running shoe. And I didn't feel a thing while I was running.

It's a badge of honor.

It's savage. It's hardcore. I am a rock star. I am a runner.

2 comments:

Erik Ammon said...

Woohoo! But a woohoo with caution: If you find it happening more often, Bodyglide may help on the back of the foot, but not the toe. And if it happens often, head to a running store and see if they have any ideas (it might be that particular shoe causes some irritation and you might need another or another size). This might be over reacting, and I apologize for that, but I don't want it to cause any issues for you!!

Meg said...

Thanks for the info! This pair of shoes are the "upgraded" version of the pair I've been using since 2010, and I've noticed they don't work quite as well as the older version did. I hope to buy new shoes soon, and I've been talking to M. the Reasonable about it, too. He's actually a big fan of the Vibrams, but I'm not ready for those yet!