Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Yo--GUH

In 7th grade, a horrible truth was driven home to me in PE class: I can't touch my toes.

Well, I can, but I have to bend my knees a little a lot. Thing is, in 7th grade PE, whenever they tested us, someone held your knees down so you couldn't "cheat." I was always embarrassed by my inability to stretch very far forward--while I could do other stretches with some ease, this one was impossible.

I still can't touch my toes, twenty years later.

I've never been the most flexible, bendy person. Part of that was the extra weight, and part of that is that my muscles are tight as guitar strings. It's something I'm working on, and I admit that I took some time off from the whole stretching and foam roller routine that I got pretty good at while working with G. the Meanie. Fortunately, it's M. the Reasonable to the rescue. He's given me some good new stretches and working with him (and waking up the next day sore from working with him) reminds me that I need to stretch pretty much every day.

Yesterday, we struck a deal that I would not have to run today if I instead attended the gym's 10:00 yoga class, with a 10-minute warm-up on the StairMaster beforehand. Running is hard on Tuesdays--I'm up late on Mondays with SCSO rehearsal and completely wired when I get home--so I was happy to do something a little different...and, yes, a little nervous.

The last time I attempted yoga was in 2004 sometime, and it was always difficult. I liked it, but it could get a little embarrassing, not being as flexible as others, or not being able to balance for as long. However, Meg of 2011 is very much not the same as Meg of 2004 and today I walked in with an attitude of "I will do what I can and give 100% on the things I can't yet do."

Still, yoga is a little intimidating. My balance is leaps and bounds better than it used to be (thank you, strong muscles!) but I'm still very inflexible and some of the positions started to get a bit painful.

What I liked, however, was the focus on clearing your mind and focusing on the breath. I also got some very good stretching from it and walked out feeling really good--while I had walked into class feeling sore and tight from the workout* I did with M. yesterday.

I think I'll make yoga a once or even twice-a-week part of my routine from now on. I won't replace running; I can certainly do both all in one day. I just liked how I felt afterwards and would like to keep doing it and seeing some improvement in my overall flexibility. M. can also help with that from time to time (he did one stretch with me a week-and-a-half ago that was fantastic for my shoulders and chest, which tend to be really, really tight.

He has also recommended I make stretching the last thing I do before bed each night--after brushing my teeth and all that other running-around stuff. Apparently, stretching and then sleeping is ideal, as it gives the body lots of time to stay in that stretched-out position. I'll be starting that tonight.

*Yesterday's workout: One minute intervals of the following:
  1. Squats in which I had to lightly touch my bottom to the edge of a treadmill (which is less than one foot off the ground) and bounce back up. After the first couple of sets he put a stability ball out and held it for me, prompting me to say, "Right. You're not Lucy. You won't pull the ball away!"
  2. Elevated push-ups with my feet on either side of the belt on the treadmill and hands placed on the bar.
  3. A simple row, using a resistance band anchored to the treadmill
  4. "Push Cars," an exercise M. got from "The Biggest Loser" in which I hold on to the treadmill bar and run...by powering the treadmill with my body rather than good ole electricity. Yes, it's hard work. Not only on the legs, but on the shoulders, because to get any traction, I basically have to go into a push-up and squeeze my shoulder blades together.
I did this whole routine five times (so yes, five minutes of each exercise) and then we spent the last bit of our appointment on the rowing machine. Did my shoulders hurt this morning? Yes, yes, they did.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! However: I'm a little dismayed by the fact that the yoga instructor did not explain that there should not, under any circumstances, ever be pain. Yoga (i.e., the commonly taught hatha yoga, which is simply the physical component of the "lifestyle", I'm not talking about the meditation and prana or any of that) is not about getting as limber as the next person -- it's about opening your body, your joints, lengthening and strengthening your muscles, and rejuvenating your spine. You should NEVER push yourself to the point of pain, ever. Your body will still get the exact same benefits even if -- with the example of a forward bend here -- your hands only reach your knees or the middle of your shins! It's not about getting to the point of doing it like everyone else in your class. You MUST go at your own pace. Most importantly, do NOT compare yourself to other yoga practitioners. Do only what feels good to your body, never allow any asana to be painful. Never, ever, ever. The old "no pain, no gain" workout ethic DOES NOT apply to yoga asanas!!! Please be kind to your body!

~ PurpleMagpie (too lazy to sign in), who has been practicing yoga for 30 years, who still can't do a lotus because she's simply not "hinged" that way. *Getting off the soapbox now*