Monday, October 17, 2011

Strolling Sacramento

Yesterday, we had an "emergency" rehearsal for SCSO, to get some additional time working on one of our pieces that needed some help. It was held at a church in midtown Sacramento, so I left a couple hours early so that I could stroll around taking pictures.

I used to think Sacramento was the most boring place in California, but I've changed my mind. It's not a sprawling, thriving metropolis like San Francisco and yes, the doors close early at a lot of places, but it's still got its charms and it is an important city in California (being the capitol and all).

Of course, many of the pictures from yesterday were of signs, but there are also some nice pics of the buildings, the capitol building itself, and the park surrounding it. It was a lovely day, sunny with temps in the low- to mid-eighties. Perfect for a walk with my duck (though I only ended up getting one or two pics of Cali).

The church was on J street, which is a major thoroughfare through downtown and midtown. I parked at 22nd and J, and wandered several blocks looking for signs and other interesting features.


I love a good word play.




I have been wanting this sign for AGES but I only
ever see it while driving by, unable to snap a pic.


This place was open for business but completely empty, maybe due to its
current suspension from selling alcohol.



I came across a feature I didn't previously know about, a sort of tribute to the people of California, with the capitol building in the distance.





I emerged from this odd little park/art thing and crossed the street to walk through Capitol Park.


Capitol Rose Garden


There were several poems by local school children. I thought they were
a lovely edition to the rose garden.


Cali Swimmy!



Sacramento Vietnam Memorial




Squirrel!!

A peak at Sacramento's taller buildings. We don't have any true sky-scrapers.

Morning Glories


Sacramento is nicknamed The City of Trees for a reason.





I've seen a lot of this guy this year--Friar Junipero Sera, who is memorialized
at every California Mission. There is no Sacramento mission, by the way--
they did not come this far north.
After Capitol Garden, I wandered through the K Street Mall area and then back up J street.



Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament--SCSO will be singing
two concerts here in two weeks, and rehearsing here
tonight.





Part of some old sign, I guess.

Cool mural.


Near the Sacramento Convention Center. What does it say to you?






My favorite bar in Sacramento. It's owned by an Englishman, so it's pub
food is pretty authentic, and it has cider on tap (not that frou-frou raspberry
crap in a bottle that most bars try to pass off on you.

No comments: