Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Meg and Sacramento

I'm starting to sense a theme, here. I feel like I'm spending more and more time in and around downtown Sacramento, exploring and getting to know a city I grew up near (when non-Californians ask me where I'm from I always tell them, "I grew up in the Sacramento area" because it's easier than explaining all of the suburbs and surrounding areas that I actually lived in--Rancho Cordova, Folsom, Lincoln, and the not-so-far-away city of Stockton) but don't really know.

Last night our weekly choir rehearsal was held at Sacramento's Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament. (In case you were wondering, Sacramento is most likely the Spanish word for Sacrament. Just a guess on my part. I'm more likely to call this city Sacratomato, though.)

Yes. So. Our rehearsal. Our concerts next weekend will be held at the cathedral, so we have the benefit of two weeks in a row of rehearsing in the space. It's a large space, with acoustical issues we don't have in the choir room at Cal State Sacramento, our normal rehearsal space.


I decided to do some exploring before the rehearsal. I parked in a seven-story parking garage and rode the elevator to the top to get some view pictures.

That's the cathedral in the center of the picture. To it's right is what my dad
once called the "Ban Deodorant building" because it looks like a roll-on.

The Crest Theater has a FANTASTIC sign (I have a better
pic of it in my collection).


The capitol, obviously.

The Cathedral dome and spires.
I took a quick video...


I walked down the (dirty, decrepit) K Street mall to the Downtown Plaza, an open-air shopping mall that doesn't get a ton of business. I didn't take pics because, well, I was nervous walking around with my camera out. Later, I got a few pics in the cathedral...I didn't want to use my flash, as Don was working with the instrumentalists, so they're not great. But you get the idea.






Rehearsal was long and a bit frustrating--we had to stand most of the night and everyone was exhausted. I couldn't see for half of the rehearsal, but Don, bless him, moved me after I chatted with him at break time ("I don't want to complain, but...I can't see you!").

But that's for another blog post.

No comments: