Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Troy Davis

Here I go, being all political again. That's the second time this week! Maybe there's something in the water here in Lincoln. Either way, this case makes me grind my teeth in frustration. What also makes me grind my teeth in frustration is that California spends millions--yes, millions--on the death penalty every year...and our schools are a hot mess. One would think that funding a good, comprehensive education system--one that reaches out to all children and finds ways to help them grow up to be productive (For God's sake, quit cutting the arts and vocational education!!) adults with career prospects--would actually help prevent crime. You know, giving people options. We'll always have sociopaths and psychopaths to remind us to keep our doors locked at night but a lot of crime and punishment could be averted if people felt they had options in life. Don't believe me? I have two words for you: London. Riots.

But what the hell do I know, anyway?

Getting on with it, I'm posting this because I've just written a letter to the Georgia State Board of Pardons and Paroles, asking, in support of Amnesty International, that they kindly reconsider the September 21 execution date they've set for Troy Davis.  There's too much doubt in this case.

I am one of those obnoxious, flag-waving, I-love-America-ing types, but only to a certain extent. I don't support killing people, even if they are guilty of a heinous crime. An eye for an eye? If you know me, you know I don't buy into that.

Below is the letter, as I'm sending it to Georgia.


To Whom It May Concern:

            I noticed, when I looked up the address I will send this letter to, that you are located on Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive. King, I’m sure you agree, was an inspiring and admirable man, who strove to overcome so many obstacles in his path in the name of peace and equality. I find it ironic that the Parole and Pardons Board for a death penalty state, then, resides on a street named for a man who was committed to non-violence.
            You hold lives in your hands. Some of those lives are guilty of heinous crimes against humanity, and yet, they are still lives. Do they deserve consequences and punishments for inflicting pain and even death on innocent people? They certainly do. But I can’t wrap my mind around the idea that killing someone—even someone who killed someone else—is an effective or even fair punishment. I can’t imagine that it gives peace to the family and friends left behind by the victim, especially as appeal after appeal brings all of the evidence rushing back to the forefront and hinders healing.
            Then, every once in a while, you get that case that stands out; the case that a California resident hears about and decides is unjust and maddening enough that she’ll take some time away from her daily distractions of Facebook and Twitter to type a letter and ready it for sending clear across this huge country of ours. The case in question is that of Troy Davis.
            Is Troy Davis innocent? I don’t know enough of the intricate details of the case to make a judgment one way or the other. But I know that witnesses have recounted their original testimonies and accused the police of pressuring them to make statements against Troy Davis. I also know that when there is this much doubt, this much uncertainty, it is a crime against humanity to execute a man.
            Casey Anthony was recently acquitted of murder charges in Florida because the prosecution could not prove, beyond reasonable doubt, that she had committed the crime for which she stood trial. It is painfully obvious that no one has proven, beyond reasonable doubt, that Troy Davis is guilty of murdering Officer Mark McPhail. Justice is not finished in this case. Executing Troy Davis is wrong, and I respectfully submit my plea, alongside Amnesty International, to the Georgia State Board of Pardons and Paroles to commute the death sentence against Troy Davis.

There is too much doubt.

Sincerely,


Megan Cooper
Lincoln, California
I've said my piece.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Thank you for sharing your passionate and well-written letter on Troy Davis' behalf. Your reference to Martin Luther King, Jr struck a chord with me. Let's hope the petition, letters, and other efforts make a difference.

emma said...

Why is this execution even happening today, when there has been enough evidence to stop it three other times. I used to believe in the system in the United States but I were fooled. It's ALL ABOUT RE-ELECTIONS, THE RICH'S AND HOW WELL KNOWN FAMILIES ARE .Then you will get anything done,even killing the innoncent.