Saturday, August 13, 2011

The Singing Fool Will Ride Again

Part of my sadness at leaving Stockton has been the thought of leaving Chorale. For three years now, I've been a part of the group--soprano, librarian, costume drama queen, friend to many. I've helped with fundraisers. I've never missed a concert. Singing with Chorale gave me something good when life got stressful.
It's full of good people, and I will miss them.

Last week, I sat down to write my "resignation letter" email to Magen, explaining that I'd be moving and no longer able to be in Chorale. Tears streamed down my face as I tried to find words to explain to her how important Chorale has been in my life, and how much I've learned from her. I had to stop at least once because I was sobbing.

It was so hard to press the send button, but press it I did.

Then I got proactive.

I knew of a similar choral group in Sacramento, and I got on Google to look it up. The Sacramento Choral Society and Orchestra is an even larger group, and I knew that if I have to make this move, I also have to keep singing. Singing always equals sanity.

I emailed the general information address, asking about auditions and giving my own background (BA Music Ed, singing with Stockton Chorale for the last few years, etc). Within 10 minutes, I had a response from the conductor himself, one Donald Kendrick, who runs choral activities at Cal State Sacramento. He invited me to attend the Summer Sing on August 11. The music for the evening would be Brahms' Requiem. I was determined to go. I performed the requiem in 2009 with Chorale, and I still have my marked-up score. Other people in my age group go to bars or fun restaurants for fun. I sing Brahms. What can I say? It's an amazing choral work.

So Thursday evening, after a quick trip to Stockton to check my mail and find lovely surprises from my dear duck ladies, I stopped in downtown Sacramento to attend the Summer Sing. We sang the whole of the requiem--my voice was exhausted after several weeks of only light singing here and there.

I introduced myself to the maestro, and he invited me and another young lady to audition then and there. We were both immediately offered spots in the group.

Having a place to sing this fall will be just what I need--I've already received welcome emails and instructions for getting a dress. We'll be singing Bernstein's Chichester Psalms at our first concert--a wonderful piece that I've not yet had the opportunity to sing. I can't wait--Bernstein is one of my favorite composers.

(If you didn't already know, he wrote the music for "West Side Story." Yeah, he's amazing.)

Because my decision to move has been quickly made, I haven't had a chance to say "see ya" (I refuse to say "goodbye," that word is way too permanent) to my fellow Stockton Chorale singers. On the 23rd there will be a Summer Sing (Mozart's Requiem) and I plan to attend to sing with that fine group of musicians one last time.

Originally, Mom and Dad had suggested I move in December, but I knew that one last semester of "this is the last time I'll sing here, this is the last time I'll sing there..." would kill me. It's better--for me--to make a clean break and go out on a high note, as it were.

It helps to know that as I make another big change in my life, I'll have a great group to sing with, and a chance to meet new people.

No comments: