Friday, August 12, 2011

Happy Birthday to Meeeee!!

Today, I am 33 years young.

This week has been both fun and frustrating. Fun because I had a lovely day out in Santa Cruz on Tuesday, but frustrating because, yet again, I did not get a job I interviewed for (and thought I had a good chance at getting) and here I am, facing another move. This will be my seventh move in the last decade.
Anyway, I've been feeling a bit "blah" about the whole thing, even though I know that once it's all finished, I'll be glad for the new start, etc. It's the actual packing, finding a mover, securing a storage locker, etc. that has me feeling a little stressed.

But I can count on my friends to keep me smiling.

On the way back from Santa Cruz (I drove), I asked Meghan if she minded making a quick stop in Stockton so I could get my mail and pick up a few things that had sold on eBay. In my mailbox, I found a CD-sized package. Sure enough, inside was the Charlie Winston CD. Wow! But...I didn't buy this...and there was no note to tell me who it might be from.

Fast forward to Thursday. I drove to Stockton to get my mail again, and get a few more eBay things that had sold. On my doorstep was a package from Cafe Press. I started giggling. I knew it would be a shirt from the Keane For Amnesty shop.

Lindsay, my friend in Ducky Madness, had made a sly remark about my birthday coming up when I mentioned a few weeks back that I had to wait to have the funds to buy a shirt from the shop. Lindsay was the one to get this shop approved and set up (it's band-approved!). One hundred percent of the proceeds to to Amnesty International, a favorite of everyone's favorite Keane drummer, Richard.

The shirt:



I posted about my delight on Facebook, and found out from Maayan that the CD was a gift from all of my Swimmy's Ladies friends.

As I left to head back to Sacramento, I stopped by my mailbox. I found a package slip and ran down to the management office to get it. It was from Sarah in England.

I ripped into the package to find...Oh. My. Goodness.

She didn't.

Oh yes, she did.

A few weeks ago, Keane's official web site announced a sale on the merchandise in their shop. I lamented on Facebook that I'd love to have the Hopes and Fears piano hoodie...except that even on sale, with the exchange rate, it was still too expensive.

So my Swimmy's Ladies pitched in and got it for me.

All I could do was sit in the car and giggle.



A year ago, I barely knew these women and now, they are so special to me. It's amazing how music can bring people together and help friendships form. I can't imagine my life without them now, and even though I've only met Maayan so far, I know I'll have a chance to meet Lindsay, Sarah and Amanda one of these days. I can't wait.

2 comments:

Maayan Schneider said...

"... IN NEW YORK."

Sarah said...

...Or anywhere else in the universe. I don't mind!