Monday, April 25, 2011

Meg's Epic Week Part 8: San Luis Obispo and One Last Mission

Good grief, I'm still only on Tuesday!

After our stop at the mission near Lompoc, Meghan and I got on the road, heading north on Highway 101. Eventually we stopped for lunch in San Luis Obispo, and looked around the mission there.

The view from our table at the Brewery where we ate.
The floor.


Meghan had a beer. Swimmy was impressed.

After lunch I ran to the car to feed the meter put something in
the trunk and was dismayed by the site of the front bumper.

Art museum


We walked along a small creek and I ran down to get a photo op of Cali Swimmy. A man and a woman were nearby and the lady started laughing and saying, "Oh, how cute" as I unashamedly plopped Swimmy in the water and took the pic. I just laughed and said, "It's a long story." She smiled, so I continued, "It's a joke with four other friends. We all have ducks, and they all go on adventures with us. We're in California, New York, Detroit, England and Holland, so it keeps us close." She was charmed by the story.

Gettin' his swim on.




I'm told by a friend who lives in SLO that this is for a
local high school. Meghan and I beg to differ.

Mission San Luis Obispo




People were praying, so I was reluctant to use my flash in the church.

Still, you get the idea.













Walking along the creek again, back towards Rosie Pro.


We were determined at this point to only stop for gas and snacks from here on out, but we did make one exception: Mission San Miguel Arcangel, situated alongside Highway 101. We were only going to drive by to get some pictures, but we ended up going to the gift shop, and I'm glad.

You see, 4th graders in California do mission reports, and way back when, in Mrs. McFadyen's class, my mission was, you guessed it, San Miguel Archangel. I was happy to see it in person for the first time.

Why yes, I do still have my mission report.










Meghan really wanted one to go with the bottle top cross
she bought at Mission SLO, but they were $60.


After this, we got back on the highway and headed north. We stopped one more time for gas and food, but not for any photo ops or sight-seeing. We made it back to Stockton at about 6:00, where Meghan insisted on paying for a full tank of gas for me (in fact, she paid all gas for the whole trip).

It is always fun to reconnect with Meghan and we had quite a grand adventure over two short days. There is talk of returning to Santa Barbara to get a better look around, and to play at Pismo Beach, perhaps.

I got a few things done around the apartment on Tuesday night, but had to be in bed early...Wednesday, you see, I was off on another adventure--to show my friend Sarah, who was a colleague at St. Peter's in England, and two of her friends around my beloved City By the Bay.

But that, my friends, is for another blog post.

No comments: