Friday, July 23, 2010

A Wild and Absolutely True Week

What a busy week this has been! And completely unforgettable.

On Monday, I met up with my friend Chris in San Francisco. We spent some time wandering around, having lunch, and going to Angel Island. It was lovely to catch up with my old friend. I met Chris the day before my 16th birthday...so in a few weeks, we will celebrate our 16th Friendoversary.

Tuesday...well, Tuesday was amazing in every way. I had a normal enough morning, working out briefly and packing to go to Summer's and then Mom and Dad's. I was off to Oakland in the afternoon, where I hung out with Summer and then headed over to the Fox Theater.

We got there at about 5:30, maybe a little before. The line wasn't too long yet, but Summer was surprised that there was a line at all. I wasn't. I knew that Keane, while not very well-known stateside, does have a very loyal following. Our plan was simple--bypass the main floor area right in front of the stage and get a spot on the first "tier" behind it.

I wore my green Converse. LOVE!
Definitely going in the scrapbook...

We were successful. I ran ahead, knocking children and grandmothers out of my way (okay, so I didn't do that, but you can imagine how quickly I was moving) to get to our desired spot, right smack in the middle. Summer had to use the ladies', so I spread my feet out and saved her a spot. One lady approached, looking at me like I was strange and asked if that spot was taken.

"Yup," I replied with a look that clearly told her to back away slowly. "My friend is standing here when she gets back from the bathroom."

I've already blogged my concert pics, of course, and the pictures from meeting Tim and Richard after the show. I'm still glowing, gloating and floating. Seriously...what a year 2010 has been. I've lost a ton of weight, but also my job. There has been some big-time stress, and though I've managed to sail through the storm without capsizing, I still really needed something like this.

The two opening acts were great. First was Fran Healy, lead singer of the band Travis. He's a Scottish guy, really funny, and he was entertaining. Still, we were ready for Keane. Ingrid Michaelson was AWESOME in a big way, and I didn't sit through her set thinking, "Come on, let's get to Keane!!!" in a whiny voice. But, of course, Keane was the best part of the night--Tom's vocals were spot-on and strong all night. Richard, Tim and Jesse were rocking out behind him. They sounded amazing, and I sang along with every song.

"Somewhere Only We Know" was magical. It's the first song I knew of Keane, and it's still my absolute favorite. Live, it's just magical.

You might notice that I pasted the picture of Richard and I up on the right-hand sidebar--it links to the post about meeting him, and my awesome t-shirt. I wanted to keep blogging, but I just couldn't stand to see that post scroll down off the main page, so I figured putting the picture there would be the next best thing. No one else cares, but now every time I come to my blog, I'll see it and smile.

Wednesday was CRAZY. I drove from Summer's home in Oakland to Monterey for a job interview. Then I drove from Monterey back to Stockton. In Stockton I stopped to get my toothbrush and toothpaste (oops), check my mail, and fill up the gas tank. Then it was off to Mom and Dad's house in Lincoln. All of this on about five hours of usable sleep and one emergency stop at Starbucks after the interview for a Frappuccino and a protein plate.

According to Google Maps, this is 319 miles.


View Larger Map

The rest of Wednesday was spent catching up with Millie and Harley (who were transported to Grandma and Grandpa's house on Sunday), blogging and posting to Facebook about my excitement over seeing and meeting Keane, and resting.

Yesterday, I finally got to see my brother. Aaron and his family  (wife Susanne and kids, Echo and Tyson) arrived in California on Tuesday. Between my crazy couple of days and their Wednesday trip to the State Fair, I didn't get to see them until Thursday. Dad drove us all (sans Mom, who was at lunch with a friend) to Beale Air Force Base, about forty minutes up the road, to show us all where Aaron was born and so we could see some airplanes.




Tyson in front of a U2
SR-71
This is where Mom, Dad and Aaron lived (I was born seven years later, in Nebraska). It's now condemed due to black mold.

 Last night, we all went to Hop Sing Palace for dinner. Today, Mom and Dad took the Idaho Coopers to San Francisco. There are enought seat belts in the van, but I'm just claustrophobic enough to not want to be stuck in the back of a van all day (as I'm the shortest and skinniest adult, it would be me that gets to sit back there), so I opted to stay home and revel in the memories of an awesome week.

No comments: