Tuesday, July 06, 2010

The Peanuts Gang: Life On Top of the Doghouse Kitty Kondo

It seems only fitting that the babies don't like to sleep IN the kitty kondo, but rather ON the kitty kondo.

They are, after all, named after Peanuts characters, and everyone knows that Snoopy prefers to sleep on top of his doghouse. According to the Schulz Museum:
Schulz said, "When I am asked how Snoopy remains on top of his doghouse after falling asleep, I am now able to say that his brain sends a message to his ears which lock him to the top of the doghouse." Schulz designed this response after talking to a veterinarian who. . .explained how birds remain on tree branches after falling asleep, much like horses' ability to remain standing while sleeping.
December 12, 1958: The first time Snoopy slept on top of his doghouse.

Every time I walk into the bathroom now, the babies are curled up (usually all four, but sometimes three) on the kitty kondo, blinking up at me and mewing softly.

Lucy, Charlie Brown (face tucked in), Linus, Snoopy...My sweet little Peanuts Gang.

Today I took them to the vet's office for their Feline Combo Test. Everyone tested negative, so YAY!! I was happy about that, because from what I understand, there are certain diseases that usually mean a kitten would be euthanized right away. That would not be a nice experience for a first-time foster mom! I'm definitely falling for these babies, but I'm keeping in mind that in a week-and-a-half, they'll be moving on. In the meantime, I enjoy their cuddles and purrs.

Speaking of purring, I've now heard Lucy (constantly), Linus (frequently) and Charlie Brown (once) rumble at me. Snoopy is the lone holdout, but he's that way in everything else. Sometimes I'll find him alone in the carrier while his siblings are on the kondo, cuddling. He's the only one that doesn't go for the canned food (but I know he's eating dry food because I've watched him in the litter box). He's a little bit independent, sometimes.

Lucy is my little chatterbox. The moment I step in that bathroom, she is mewing at me. At first I thought something was wrong. Then I realized she's just telling me about her day. It's often accompanied by a very loud rumble that makes her tiny little body vibrate. I kind of adore Lucy.

So today, you get two adorable pictures and a short lesson on the history of the Peanuts comic strip. A two-for-one! In a little while, I'll post a new video of the gang doing their kitten thing...because who can ever get enough of kittens?

2 comments:

Aunty Pol said...

Hi Meg,

Aunty Pol here , popping in from Space Paws ....yes , I linked over. My hubby and I are the parents of 6 rescues and are so glad that you are on a new adventure. Lisa is a great support giver and also..check out:

www.theittybittykittycommitee.com

Laurie is a wonderful foster Mom and would be a great resource.

My snarky blog is not for the faint of heart at times but deals with the kittys, our lives and moments of Super Pooper vs the carpet cleaner.

www.auntypolknowsitall.blogspot.com


Don't change a thing honey, you are doing a great job.

Waves from Houston.


Aunty Pol

HubbleSpacePaws said...

Aunty is a great cheerleader, Meg! Personally, I love her brand of snarkiness!