Friday, January 01, 2010

The Year That Will Be

Welcome, 2011...what do you have in store for me?

It will be fun to see how it rides out. For now, I have some resolutions. All of them are very doable.

1. No more soda.

This shouldn't be too hard. I gave up soda a year ago when I started working with Gershom. I can count on one hand how many times I've had Coke or Dr. Pepper this year, and each time it was unsatisfying. This year, I want that number to be ZERO. No soda--diet or otherwise.

2. No more fast food.

Of course, I have also avoided fast food. But I've slipped a few times and that is coming to an end. It's total crap, anyway. Who wants to put that garbage in their bodies? I'm also going to limit my Subway. I figure if I need a quick meal somewhere, I'll get a protein plate at Starbucks. And tea. Maybe one pastry, if I've been really good.

3. Seventy-five (yes, 75) miles each week.

I set the goal of 75 miles of running and cycling a couple of weeks ago, and I met it and would have left it in my dust if I'd worked out a sixth day (but I had a Chorale gig and instead helped set up with the riser crew). So I know it is perfectly feasible to get at least 75 miles (possibly more like 90-100) in one week, every week. Even if I just have an hour to work out, I can do a couple miles running in under thirty minutes, and I can do, currently, 13-14 miles in 30 minutes on the stationary bike.

4. Twenty pounds.

That's it. It will take longer to lose it, because I'm in better shape than I was a year ago, but I will lose that last twenty pounds and be solidly in a size 6-8.

5. Find a new adventure.

Of course, this means finding a job. I'm thinking I might find myself leaving Stockton this year--I like it here, but a lady's gotta do what she's gotta do. And I'm itching for an adventure. I've started the application process for teaching jobs with the department of defense. We'll see what happens. But I will find a new adventure this year, whether it's staying in Stockton and having some money to travel, or moving somewhere new and exciting.

No comments: