Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Decade in Music: 2004

2004 was a big year in many ways. I left my first teaching position. I secured a job in England. I started a blog. And then I boarded a 747.

A big year, indeed. The soundtrack, as ever, rocked.

I fell, in a big way, for Maroon 5. I still like their stuff to this day, but they've obviously been replaced. However, my time in England has a lot of memories to rocking out in my classroom during my free periods to Maroon 5.



Going back to England put me solidly back into Robbie Williams Love. He had a new single out, "Radio," which was really only "meh," but I still bought it.

And, of course, 2004 was the year that Keane released Hopes and Fears, their first album, and along with it, "Somewhere Only We Know."

I never need an excuse to post that one on the LPB.



I liked the song even then. I remember when they played it on Saturday Night Live--one of the rare times I stayed up to watch SNL, not even knowing who these guys were.

Other songs I loved in 2004:

White Flag -- Dido
My Immortal -- Evanescence
Vertigo -- U2
I Miss You -- Blink 182
Heaven -- Los Lonely Boys
The Reason -- Hoobastank (saw them live this past September. I'm sort of over them now.)
Accidentally In Love -- Counting Crows

Songs I loathed in 2004:

Redneck Woman -- Gretchen Wilson (I'm so over those songs that are all about over-the-top, "I'm a bitch! I'm a redneck! I'm a social outcast!" pride)
Toxic -- Britni Spears (played constantly at the gym. EAR WORM!! EEEK!!)
Take My Breath Away -- Jessica Simpson (You don't remake a classic. You. Just. Don't.)
You Raise Me Up -- Josh Groban (no, this song actually brings me down)

Forgotten Gem of 2004

Try as I might, I couldn't find a hidden gem from 2004.

3 comments:

Miz Minka said...

This such an interesting series, Meg! It's bringing back lots of good musical memories. I have loved, loved, LOVED My Immortal since the first time I heard it. Haven't liked too many of the other stuff Evanescence has done since then, but My Immortal might well be one of my favorite songs of the decade.

Miz Minka said...

My second favorite song would definitely be The Reason by Hoobastank.

alana said...

I remember thinking Blink 182 had stepped up their game when they came out with "I Miss You."

And I loathed "The Reason!!!" It was played to death and I wanted to kill myself everytime it came on the radio. lol