Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Productive

It's one of those busy, satisfying, get-stuff-done kind of days. I like days like this. Tonight I'll sit back and relax with a movie and two cuddly cats, but for now, I'm getting stuff done. I'm kicking butt and taking names. It feels good. I've got a list of stuff I've accomplished so far.

1. Early Riser

Yikes! Our school start time is going from 8:30 to 7:40. Mrs. Principal joked that we'd all be wandering around with IVs full of caffiene. We know we're going to have a huge issue with tardies.

More importantly, Little Miss Former Morning Person now has to get back to those good ole days of rising before 7:00. I'm aiming for 6:00, which means practicing this week. My alarm went off on time this morning, and I woke up...before deciding that since I'd acknowledged my alarm clock, I deserved another hour of sleep.

Tomorrow--I'm up by 6:30!

2. Number 1 on the To Do List

Number 1 on my list of stuff I need to get done this week was "Call Curriculum re: assignment for this year." Now that it's been established that there will be NO AUGUST LAYOFFS in my district (in short, Meg of the LPB will be EMPLOYED), the other question I had was...am I still at the same site? The answer, my friends, is yes. This makes me happy.

3. 9:00 Butt-kicking

I walked (yes, walked, it's about 3 blocks) to the gym, did my 30 minutes of cardio, and then met with C., my trainer. Today was a measurement day, and while my belly was up one inch (Auntie Flo arrived yesterday), my arms are down a whole centimeter! I am very, very pleased with myself. All those push-ups, pull-ups, parachute push-ups, etc. are paying off in a big way.

And as for my tummy, water retention really does take its toll. Give me a few days and I won't be quite so bloated.

I had a great lower-body workout today, and feel like I can take over the world...just as soon as I shower.

4. Bean Counter Cooker

I'm making my own refried beans! I boiled them, and they have 15 minutes left of sitting, off heat, covered before I can drain and rinse them. I'm also going to make cilantro rice and chicken cooked in taco seasonings. Add lettuce, tomato and homemade guacamole on the side and you've got an awesome meal.

The beans will be made with olive oil instead of lard--a trick I learned from Summer B.--and they will be just as delicious, but much healthier. And a lot tastier than the canned stuff.

5. Coming Out of the Closet

I just finished going through my closet, trying things on and putting the "fat" clothes in a bag to go to Goodwill. Yay me! I'm going to try to eke some more life out of a few things that are a wee bit on the roomy side, so that I don't end up spending a fortune on clothes.

I do, however, need new bras as soon as possible. My current ones fold and sag and do all kinds of weird stuff when I'm wearing them. I can't tell you how good it feels to shrink out of my clothing, instead of growing out of it.

6. Other Bits and Pieces

I have also folded a load of towels that have been hanging up to dry on my drying rack since...Saturday before Coldplay? Something like that. And I emptied the dishwasher, unpacked the rest of the stuff I had taken to Mom and Dad's house, and started putting info into my new calendar--I don't buy new planners in January, I buy the school-year ones for students. I'm pleased that my "No Quarter, No Mercy" pirate sticker was able to transfer from my old planner to my new one (it's now on its third planner). I bought it when my drum line at Oh Hell No HS was doing a pirate-themed show and figured it fits my classroom management philosophy pretty well, so I kept it around.

Last night I started typing up classroom rules, which will be posted and hung in my classroom soon. I started thinking about what I'm going to do for the first couple weeks' worth of lesson plans. I'm not going to do much art this year--those kids are getting Mad Meg the Music Maniac this year, whether they like it or not. They will sing, they will drum, they will clap their hands and feel like fools.

No quarter, no mercy.

Okay. Break over, and time to get back to it. I still need to shower, take stuff to Goodwill, and maybe stop by the school. If I don't do it today, I will tomorrow. I wonder if they have my class lists ready...

No comments: