Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Marking My Territory

I spent a few hours at school today, moving a few things from my old classroom to my new one, setting things up, and sweet-talking the custodian into moving my desk for me. Actually, I didn't need to sweet-talk him. I learned--early in my career--that being helpful and considerate of the school custodian and secretaries will make a teacher's job easier. When I asked him when my desk might be moved ("when you get the chance!") he replied, "I can do it right now." He actually dropped what he was doing to move my desk from one room to another.

Anyway, before all of this, I took a Before picture of my new classroom:



It's much like my old--a portable, same size. This one has carpet, where my old room had tile. Like in my old room, I'll put my desk over by that back window in the picture. No more looking out at kindergargen recess time during my prep! I'll miss watching the teenies running around--they're so cute.

However, I'm no longer situated right in front of the primary playground, so I won't have to navigate my way through various jumprope games, kickball extravaganzas, and flying playground equipment to get to my room anymore. That's a plus, as I always sort of feared for my life. They may be small, but I still don't want to get mowed down by a 6-year-old going 70 miles per hour.

Today I mostly packed up a bunch of language arts materials that had been left in my room by the previous occupant (I told Mr. Custodian, "I'll box them, if you and your guys can move them out for me!"). I unpacked most of my personal items, like my books and files. All of that had gone home with me for the summer, as my future was uncertain at the end of May.

I put a couple of posters up on the wall, and immediately removed a big poster I made last year to put on my door:



I'm marking my territory. : )

Tomorrow, I'll go back to finish up, and hopefully I won't have anything more to do after that but work on lesson plans from home. As soon as Mr. Custodian moves the piano and a couple of tables from my old room, I'll set up the student desks and start playing with arrangements so that I have desks for my middle school students, and a big open area for my teenies.

I'm so excited to be going back to FES!

5 comments:

Dani said...

So, wait - are your classrooms in something like trailers? My kid sister and brother went to a school that had to be, you know, ACTUALLY BUILT and they were in these metal construction site containers for their classes. It was kind of tragically sad.

I hope you can give that room a bit of life; it still looks kind of drab and generic now.

Meg said...

It is like a trailer, yes, but there on a more permanent basis...and complete with a crawl space underneath where skunks can go to die.

Our school has 15 original classrooms, a cafeteria, and office. It was built a long time ago for about 200 kids, probably. It now houses 800+, so over the years, portables have been added. Pretty much every school I've been to in California has portables. The state experienced HUGE growth from the late 80s onward, and ed funding didn't quite keep up.

alana said...

I'm from San Diego and I don't think I've ever been in a school that didn't have portables.

Most of them were there on a permanent basis too.

alana said...

Most of them did have better air conditioning though. lol

alana said...

oops...I meant better air conditiong then the rest of the school. m