Thursday, July 30, 2009

Officially Tired

Whew. Another great day--I felt really good about my classes and I enjoyed myself...but boy, am I tired! The first week back is always exhausting. I've been on my feet and on the run since 7:00 yesterday morning.

I'm getting used to the idea of having two school sites to work at. It's not the easiest way, but it's what I have to do, and I will do it with a smile. Hey, I have a JOB, right? As close as I came to getting a pink slip in March, I will just remain grateful that I have a full-time teaching position.

Let me just insert here that my new 7th graders are adorable. I hear, from previous teachers, that they're "chatty," but that they are all nice kids. They just like to talk. That I can handle!

One of the students who was very, very difficult last year is back, but I'm happy to say that he seems to have calmed down a bit over the summer. I certainly hope that he matures a little more this year--he's very young compared to other kids in his grade level.

In other news, I've made it to the gym every afternoon this week and I've had so much extra energy during the day as a result. I've done time on the treadmill (except for yesterday) and upped the intensity of my normal cardio on the elliptical. My body feels great, but let me tell you, once I climb into bed, it's nearly impossible to read longer than 15-20 minutes. I am OUT.

And today, I kicked some workout butt--I did ten "walking planks" without stopping! Walking planks are an exercise where you start in a push-up position, on your hands and toes--my trainer does not let me to modified push-ups. Your hands are on a step from step aerobics, with no "lifters" under it. You walk your hands to the floor, and back up onto the step. It is as difficult as it sounds, and in the past, I've struggled with this exercise. Today, I blew through ten like it was a walk in the park. C. was so proud. : )

I'm not having a hard time getting up in the mornings (you might recall that our new school start time this year is 7:40--compared to 8:30 last year). Sure, I'm a little groggy at first, but it's nothing a hot shower and a good breakfast (plenty of lean protein!) won't fix.

So tomorrow is Friday, and that's good, because a nice weekend (plus PAYDAY!!) will be welcome. Summer is coming on Saturday for some scrapbooking, which is always fun.

With that, I'll sign off. I finally mustered enough post-gym energy to make tomatoes with mozzerella for dinner. Give me another hour or so and I might just be in bed.

No comments: